Author Topic: Psyched about this piece of wood  (Read 1948 times)

Offline KShip85

Psyched about this piece of wood
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »
I just cut this this week and am psyched about the potential bow in it.  It's a fairly clean piece of ERC, little over 53 inches long with a nice heartwood to sapwood ratio.  My plan is to sinew back it and then possibly look for some skins to put on top of that.  I'd like to go for the west coast native American style, and I know they used junipers backed with sinew for some of their short bows.  I have a shorter piece too but think I will work with this longer one to be a little safer.  Any ideas on what kind of a skin would look good on it?  I'm open to snake or fish, or really anything.    I'd like to try pike or something some time, just not sure if I want to do it here.  Anywho thanks for taking a look, I am excited to get this thing planned and gather whatever else I need to.

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline John K

Re: Psyched about this piece of wood
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:52:39 pm »
Good luck, looks like a nice piece, alittle short for my taste, but if you don't try to get to much out of it, you should be able to get a bow from it.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:41:01 pm »
that does look pretty good, but sounds pretty short.  how long is your other piece?  maybe you could make a spliced bow, or a take down bow from the two pieces.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:51:16 pm »
Looks good Kship85. A lot of those sinew backed western indian bows were shorter than what you got there. If you made one of those that would be pretty awesome. Good luck. Can't wait to see what you do.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:08 pm »
Kship

The west coast indian bows were around 36-50 inches or so. I have one sinew backed at 38", If you have any questions pm me I would be glad to let you know what I know.

As for snakes, a nice pair of bull snakes would work, though alot of the west coast bows were painted right over the sinew. which is what I did.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:14:54 am »
Hey Tell,

why don't u post a picture of your west coast painted bow....I'd love to see it...
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:36:15 am »
Sweet looking piece of ERC.Extra nice,I can see why you are pumped. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 02:30:04 am »
Ishi said bow length was figured by holding your arm out shoulder high and the bow length was I  from fingertip to hip.I'm 6'3" and mine came out 50" ntn 50# @ 22" and shot really hard and fast. good luck, mine took lot's of patience
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹