Author Topic: African Bow Woods  (Read 18482 times)

Offline Tommy D

Re: African Bow Woods
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:02:13 pm »
Otis,

Thanks for your message. What species of gum make good bows - we have loads. They were originally planted by the settlers to drain swaps and provide fuel for the railways. Some common ones are Saligna and Blue Gums, but there are many species that have been introduced and I am sure I could find the good ones.

Do you ever use Australian Black wattle - that was introduced for tanins in the leather industry. Also Mimiosa trees from Australia.

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 08:23:09 pm »
Tom,
black wattle is a commonly used name for a few different species of wattle (acacia) so it will depend but i know people have made some excellent bows from 'black wattle' (can't tell you which type). i have tried with the black wattle we have where i am and found it to be no good (split and cracked), but i hadn't seasoned it fully at the time and i know others have said the same thing with black wattle that isn't fully seasoned.

the good thing about many australian hardwoods is that the grain orientation is of little importance. infact it can often be used upside down or sideways. grain violations are not a concern, and it will handle a fair amount of grain runoff as long as the grain is running fairly well down the limb. but as i said in the last post the harder the conditions the tree grows in the better. draining swamps sounds like pretty ideal conditions for a lot of gum trees and so the wood may be to light and poor in quality. if you can find one on a rocky ridge or in poor conditions grab some.

grey ironbark is considered one of the best, but red ironbark is also good. http://www.hardwood.timber.net.au/species/ironbark_grey.htm

spotted gum is definitely one to try.
spotted gum http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/hardwoodsqld/10142.html

stringybark can work and i have used it before.
http://www.timber.net.au/?option=com_species&name=Yellow%20Stringybark&Itemid=472

cooktown ironwood is another i have used, although backing it is advised as i have found it very high in compression strength and can overpower itself. upto 1300kg per m3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrophleum_chlorostachys

jarrah also makes servicable bows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarrah
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:27:25 pm by otis.drum »
Cape York, Australia

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 03:12:38 am »
I would second the use of Ironbark and for aesthetic purposed would go for Red Ironbark even though it is not quite as strong as the Grey, however as both are stronger than most other woods it is not a problem.  ;D

Have had mixed success with spotted gum and stringybark.

Craig.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 06:48:36 pm »
I have read that most Eucalyptus chrysalls easily - is this true - or very species specific? Has anyone made board bows out of it? Must it be backed? What diameter tree to you start with for a self bow? What is the best way to season it from scratch?

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 07:18:11 pm »
I have read that most Eucalyptus chrysalls easily - is this true - or very species specific?

There are over 700 species of Eucalypt and yes some are brittle and will crystal readily. Otis has given you the name a number of trees that you can make good bows out of.

Has anyone made board bows out of it?

A number of the woods Otis mentioned are available in Australia as floor boards or decking boards and yes people have made plenty of board bows out of them.

Must it be backed?

Not necessarily, depends on the grain and annual ring orientation plus the weight of bow you are making. Same as any western/American tree.

What diameter tree to you start with for a self bow?

Its wood just like that in the West, so same rules apply, some have made bows out of 3inch saplings others from larger trees, it also depends on the type of bow you are after.

What is the best way to season it from scratch?

Split into staves, seal the ends leave the bark on or remove it and seal the back. some species check terribly no matter what you do.

Craig.

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »
I have read that most Eucalyptus chrysalls easily - is this true - or very species specific?

There are over 700 species of Eucalypt and yes some are brittle and will crystal readily. Otis has given you the name a number of trees that you can make good bows out of.

i have had stringybark chrysal. i doubt you could get ironwood to chrysal if you tried. its amazingly dense stuff. i don't think its fair to say eucalypts chrysal as a rule, however there are, as stated, 700 odd varieties, and some are pretty crap wood. the types i gave  in the above post are a couple of woods more than worthy of a try.

What diameter tree to you start with for a self bow?

something 6"-12" round is a good start.

Cape York, Australia

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 07:59:06 am »
Thanks for these replies. Going back to African Juniper - from these stats can anyone comment on whether it will work for bow wood? http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/african-juniper/

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 07:27:47 am »
i know nothing about it so i shouldn't say too much. but it does look to be very light at 500 odd kg per cubic meter.
Cape York, Australia

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:38 pm »
The stats on the African juniper look really good for a softwood.  They are better than Eastern red cedar (US species), for example.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr