Author Topic: BBI R/D  (Read 1777 times)

Offline NTD

BBI R/D
« on: March 28, 2010, 03:02:15 pm »
So I saved it.  I superglued down the splinter and then put a rawhide patch over that.  I've put 100 arrows through it and it has held up so far.  It ended up coming under weight...I think I'm getting overzealous and fooled by the early weight of these bows.  It came out to 44# @ 28".  It is 64"- 62" NTN. 

These aren't finished pics, I haven't done a final sanding, or put a finish on it yet.  These are just to show ya the bare bones and see what you think.  I did my first Arrow shelf cut out on this...I have to admit I kind of like the shelf :-[

I think Like my last R/D I probably don't have it bending enough midlimb...Not sure what my hang up is on not working that area enough, think I might be midlimbaphobic.

Nate Danforth

Offline Orkraider

Re: BBI R/D
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:18:13 pm »
The patch looks just like the pictures I saw of how that's supposed to be done!

The bow looks sweet, very nice looking.

Well done.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:01:22 pm »
Yep, same as the other one you posted. The inner limbs are doing more than there fair share of work. Most of these D/R bows the limbs should be almost straight when there braced and just slightly bending all the way though at full draw.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

rattlesnake

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »
i did one bbi,,, yeah they shoot good;...but at what cost?/...i had a boo lift/splinter too......never again!!...i hate bam-boo with nodes!!!!!!!....what a waste of time,....yeah i can fix it with patches, sinew and cover it up?..but ill always know its there....many hrs, wasted in my eyes,...if i do an ipe again it will be backed with hickory period,,, this will make for a indistructable bow!!.....

...ive got too hand it to guys like james parker who put out super nice boo bows......but for this kid never again,...ill stick with my selfbows.......snake

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »
Well I'll probably try some Hickory backed ones at some point but I'll keep working with the boo.  This is the 5th Boo backed I've done and the first to lift a splinter.  I like the look of Boo better than hickory and am willing to have a failure every once in awhile.  Time wasted?  Not for me, I enjoy the process of making a bow, and this early in the hobby (for me) every bow, whether a shooter or not, is a learning experience.  If it one breaks during building I have another one on the shelf to shoot....
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:15:58 pm »
Thanks Ryan!  For some reason when I do straight limbed bows I don't work the inner limbs enough and when I do R/D's I work em too much.  Well I have a BBO on the form right now, I will give it another go.  I think I won't touch the inner limbs for awhile and get the midlimbs bending the way they should and then maybe work the inners limbs.

Nate Danforth

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:50:56 pm »
I have made a few like that and they still shoot good. I think some of the trouble is when using the 2x4 form it tends to make the clamped are into a stiff spot and can be really tough to get that area to bend good when using only one clamp per limb.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:34 pm »
It does shoot well, course I don't have a "proper" R/D to compare it too.  And Yep I'm using a single 2x4 for each limb.
Nate Danforth