Author Topic: What did I do wrong???  (Read 4117 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: What did I do wrong???
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »
I always take Mine down the Sides a Bit...but if it ain't holding...it won't matter...I would soak the Sinew...to remove all of the Knox...and reuse it...I would not try to glue it back the way it looks....JMO...and like Timo said...Lye works best...and it will also age (changes the Color) the Osage at the same time... just make sure that you neutralize it good when done...Lye is some mean stuff if you get it on anything
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03:14 am »
I am going to use new sinew for the repair.  I don't want to reuse the backing that didn't stick.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 12:19:25 am »
then stick it in an Envelope...and send it to me...there aint nothing wrong with it...just soak it in hot water with dish soap...and all of the Oils and Gellatin will wash away
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 04:59:13 pm »
On the bows I have sinewed, I've degreased with lye, then roughed up the back with a hacksaw blade, and then sized it several times. Never had a problem with it lifting. And yes, Knox is PLENTY strong enough and then some. And yes, I've used all kinds of hide glue from store-bought to homemade, and knox is right there with any of it. I had a sinewed bow that I used Knox on broke at an invisible rotten spot inside the limb. You could not pull the sinew from the wood, it was pulling out chunks and strings of osage, the wood literally pulled apart before the glue let go. It could be a temperature/consistancy thing with the glue, too. As for putting on several layers of sinew at once, I've had a lot better luck doing that than putting on a layer at a time. It tends to form into one homogenous layer better that way.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.