Author Topic: new to knapping  (Read 1207 times)

Offline gilbarbarian

new to knapping
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:15:19 am »
I would like to get into knapping my own points for hunting.  Not sure if this rock will do or if I should start with glass bottle bottoms, as I've seen on you tube.  I still need to make some tools.  Any advice.  Thanks Jeff

Offline DanaM

Re: new to knapping
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:00:21 am »
Hard to say from the picture ??? My advice is do as much research as you can and watch knappin vids on youtube. Good Luck eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:37:25 am »
the type of rock looks workable but those two pieces have quite a bit of fracture in them. those fractures will either break or cause problems for you. where are you located, it will help to identify the rock and other knappers near you. if the stone isnt readily available to you , use glass bottles to start. its a cheap source of material that will teach you a lot and not waste stone. like dana said check out youtube again, theres a lot of info on flintknapping available. two of our favorites are paleomanjim and flintknappingtips. they have videos that will help you get started. peace and happy chippin
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline gilbarbarian

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:15:39 am »
Thanks guys for the advice.  They came out of a creek from st louis, but I have no idea if it was man made or not.  Any advice on tools, how much should they cost.  elk billet or some kinda kit?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 12:01:56 pm »
I would not suggest buying tools, at least not to begin with. Go back through the treads in Flintknapping and you will find all kinds of suggestions on ABO and making your own tools. If you go the copper route, you can make your own tools for pennies. Besides saving a lot of money, it adds to the fun when you make your own tools.