Author Topic: Gemsbok Takedown  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Luffchylde

Gemsbok Takedown
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:57:49 am »
I was reading the posts about the gemsbok takedown, and saw that there was a back issue that had information about it. I'm very interested in buying that issue, but am also interested in other info, such as filing to reduce weight, etc. I see the posts offering others help with it, but it doesn't say what help was given! All help will be immensely appreciated, as that is just the most awesome looking bow.
I'm new to bowyery, but a co-worker left The Bowyer's Bible vol.2 on the book exchange table at work last year, and I've been bugging my husband to help me ever since. I now have the time, the only problem is making up my mind where to start! I also have a HUGE piece of purpleheart awaiting experience and inspiration!
Thanks!

Offline Cromm

Re: Gemsbok Takedown
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:31 am »
Hi,
Any idea which number PA it was in?
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Luffchylde

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:20:59 pm »
It did not say, or I would have happily ordered it already. If someone posts it, I will be sure to let you know so I can.
Thanks

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »
I believe ive seen some gemsbok horns for sell on ebay at a not too ridiculous price. I also used to want to make one, but got side tracked by other projects ::).   Im not sure of the composition of the horn, but if i remember rightly the bow that was in the tbb2 was like 80# at 18" or something redick like that. definitely gonna take some tillering work to be a usable bow. im also not sure how well horn would be as a stand alone bow as far as set and durability go. Idk really i havent seen much information on them. hopefully we can get some pro's to tune in on the subject, cause im sure anyone who has read the tbb's has admired that bow. Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:03:22 pm »
The construction is pretty much self explanatory, but I don't think it will make an efficient bow.
Some more pictures...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:44:35 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:06 am »
 When I get home I'll look up the article. I probally have an extra copy of it. I remember in the article the bow was heavy poundage and shot like a dog. I think it would be cool to look at, but I don't think I'd want it for an everyday shooter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:53:33 pm »
I'm pondering on one like Welsch's doing, horn belly - sinew back
Frank from Germany...

Offline Luffchylde

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:46:26 pm »
Thanks, Mullet!
 I sure would appreciate it!