Author Topic: First Time Chrysals  (Read 1241 times)

Offline aznboi3644

First Time Chrysals
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:56:25 am »
this is not a bow making story but it is based on bow making skills lol

I am a landscaper and have been doing it for the past 7 years.  I love being outside.  And with being a landscaper we go through rakes like normal people should not.  Usually it is the handle that snaps....I've broken about 4 or 5 rakes in the past couple years.  Usually the handle lifts a splinter on the back and breaks from tension stress.

Today before going to the job my dad (boss man) stopped by Rural King to get some trash bags and a new leaf rake.  Well he brought out this 9 dollar good looking rake made by Truper.  Best thing about it (at the time) was a 1.25 inch thick handle and a pretty tough looking head on it.  I was think "Ahh sweet a new rake that wont break easily".  The label even said "10 YEAR WARRANTY".

So this rake MUST be a winner with a strong looking handle and a durable head and tines.  After about an hours total of use I looked at the handle and noticed some funny squigly lines in the middle of the handle.  I looked closer and realized that these must be what CHRYSALS look like!!! 

So I did what any self respecting landscaper/lover of bow making would do...I did a little floor tillering with the rake upside down to see if the handle is bending evenly LOL...Well I put about 5-10 lbs of pressure in the middle of the handle and the rake took a little bend...then I tried it again and SNAP!!!!  A clean break across.  I stood there pondering WTF is this made of and why would the manufacture state even 10 years of warranty?  I was really pissed...super.  I stood there looking down at the pile of yard waste still needing to raked...but only to be thinking of what bow I will make next lol.

I mean we go to the store and buy a rake with a 10 year warranty and it breaks after an hour of use? I'm thinking about making some of my own ash handles for some tools...I mean i got it coming out my ash so why not haha

eh I'm done lol...I just felt like sharing what happened today because it reminded me of bows haha...this stuff is way too addicting.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: First Time Chrysals
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
Did your dad laugh? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!