Author Topic: twisted bow limb troubles  (Read 2354 times)

danielson

twisted bow limb troubles
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
I have a twisted bow limb, but i'm not done tillering. What should I do?  :-\

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: twisted bow limb troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:48:07 pm »
Was the stave twisted or has the twist developed as you were tillering.  If while you were tillering it means you didn't take wood off evenly. One side of the twisted limb is thicker than the other. You should be able to feel the difference using your thumb and fore finger as a gauge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

danielson

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:01:24 pm »
Thanks, It happened when I was Tillering.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:25:07 pm »
remove the wood from the thicker side to fix the twist.   Good luck on your bow!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:29:45 pm »
I've had this happen a lot recently. I find that when I work from only one side of the bow I tend to take off more wood on that side. Just feel the thickness from side to side and try and keep it even. Good luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:44 am »
We all do this. I've been building wood bows for 25 years and still have to constantly check limb thickness as I tiller from a vise. Once I get to my bowyer's bench it isn't as prevalent.  If your vice is mounted on your work table generally the side closest to the table will be the thick side. And when you flip the bow to work on the other limb you do the same but it is the opposite side of the first so you get a propeller twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC