Author Topic: Burnish or not?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Flashman

Burnish or not?
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »
My 64" Vine Maple bow is almost tillered.  I have not pulled it to full draw but guess the final draw weight will be close to my target of 55 pounds.  I have been doing the final tiller for 2 months being every so careful not to do what I usually do and take off too much wood.  I have about 1" of deflex and have tried very hard not to over-compress the belly wood in order to minimize set and reduce performance.  It started out with about 2 to 2 1/2"s of deflex. 

My question is this.  Should I heat burnish the belly?  I know I will have to adjust the tiller again but is it worth it in terms of performance.   I really want good cast from this bow.  With my last bow, Hazelnut, it made a big difference but I had probably compressed the belly too much before heat treating.

Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Burnish or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:23 pm »
Heat tempering(not burnishing) will add compression strength and whitewoods seem to benefit most from it. Tempering before too much set occurs would be the most successful method. I have never worked maple so take my advise for what it's worth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:26:54 pm »
I've had good success belly tempering vine maple.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:42 pm »
You meant to say.....Reflex....not Deflex...didn't you?   I have never had a Bow lose Deflex while Tillering....As for Heat Treating the Belly.... Vine Maple does very well when Heated...jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Flashman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:07 pm »
You're right, reflex.