Author Topic: need info for stalking deer for a new guy  (Read 4401 times)

ilcoalminer

need info for stalking deer for a new guy
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:42:23 am »
hey guys.  i'm just looking for someone to point me to some good infor on stalking  deer for a someone who has no idea how to do it.  thanks guys

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: need info for stalking deer for a new guy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:59 am »
I believe most guys bock east use sit and wait not stalking. The best way is to just start practicing. You can stalk squirrels, deer and just about any other critter for practice. You can even stalk cows. They won't run away, but you will know when you are busted.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:23:55 am »
You are right Justin,Whitetail deer are probably one of the hardest critters to try and stalk and Turkey also.I know some that have done it but if you like to eat them there are much more productive ways to do it.Still hunt works pretty well.Most time by the time you see them they already know you are there.Sounds cool but very hard to do with any rate of success. Small game is another matter,just move slow and keep you eyes open with as little noise as possible.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

ilcoalminer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:01:45 pm »
lol thanks for the info i'm sure the farmers here in southern illinois would love to see me in my ghillie suit trying to sneak up on his cows  ;D i knew it wouldn't be easy stalking a whitetail but i bet it would be really fun plus could you imagine the excitement in getting really close to one then bringing it down.  i mean talk about an adrenaline rush.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »
i do a lot of stalking. lots of practice , patience ,and a good sense of humor is needed. learning deer behavior is invaluable. after a while you'll know what a deer is gonna do before it does it. good luck and have fun.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:21:49 pm »
You can come stalk my cows, but I warn you when you get busted you will get a face full of cow snoz wondering where the bread handout is.  Now that I think about it,  my cows eat bushes I wouldn't wear a guillie around them either. ;D

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 02:29:45 pm »
You are right Justin,Whitetail deer are probably one of the hardest critters to try and stalk and Turkey also.I know some that have done it but if you like to eat them there are much more productive ways to do it.Still hunt works pretty well.Most time by the time you see them they already know you are there.Sounds cool but very hard to do with any rate of success.
   Pappy

That is so true, all the advice is right on.  I know a guy in NE Illinois that routinely stalks and kills nice bucks with his bow.  What he taught me was this.  Don't try to stalk to kill deer, try to get close to them without spooking them.  Start your stalk with that in mind, if you get in bow range it's a plus, if you launch an arrow you have done something really significant.  I'm only successful at stalking when the conditions are right so that's the only times I go out intending to stalk/still hunt.  But, some of my best stalks have come on the way to or from a tree stand.  Right away you will learn to anticipate where the deer are headed and stalk to that point and not where they are.  I cannot stalk as fast as a deer can browse.  Normally I hunt from a stand.  However, If I see fresh snow and consistent wind I'll be on the ground in my snow camo every single time.

Good luck.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:01:23 am »
my friend wants to try it. ima tell him we gunna "stalk" in this here cutover, and put him in one end of it, then to to the other end and climb in a tripod and take the shotgun out of my pack.  ;D better than a deer dog.  >:D
lets just shoot it

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:11:52 pm »
recurve,thats called a deer drive
very common way of hunting in some areas.used to be around here
but now everyone does it from stands
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »
recurve,thats called a deer drive
very common way of hunting in some areas.used to be around here
but now everyone does it from stands

yup. i know it. but he dont.  ;D >:D
lets just shoot it

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 01:00:41 pm »
When you throw a rock into a pool of water it sends out waves. That's what most people do when they enter the woods to hunt. All the critters feel the waves or vibrations and they hide. With practice you can make smaller and smaller waves as you hunt. It takes practice but you can become a critter attractor rather than a critter repeller. When you get good you will be able to feel the waves the critters make before you see them.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »
Stalking is my favorite way to deer hunt.  Give me wet, quiet leaves on the ground and I won't be sitting in a tree stand.  Here's my method:
A deer's first line of defence is its nose.  The wind needs to be blowing from where to think the deer might be to you.  Wind is face is ideal.  Wind from the side isn't bad, but you loose the down wind side for hunting.  Were clean clothes, shower, use scent inliminating sprays.  RUBBER BOOTS are great.  Avoid touching limbs with you hands.

A deer's second line of defence is sight.  They can pick up movement very quickly.  Wear camo and move SLOWLY.  I call my method of hunting stand-and-stalk hunting.  I never take over 3 steps without stopping to look around.  This stopped time could last as little as a minute or as long as 10 minutes or more.  To cover a half mile it will take me a minimum of an hour.  Just remember the place you're at right now might be as good as the place you're heading to.  Every step gives you a new perpective of the area your hunting.

Remember to watch you back trails if the wind isn't blowing directly that direction.  If you're doing a good job of stalking, a deer might just as easily come from behind you as in front of you.

Listen, listen, listen.  Even with wet, quiet conditions a deer can make noise.  Try to identify the source of every sound you hear. 

Squirrels CAN turn into deer.  Just because you've heard and identified a squirrel as the source a noise don't forget to check it out often.  Squirrel and deer both love acorns.  If a squirrel has found a honey hole of acorns there's a good chance a deer will also.  I can't count the number of times stalking and stand hunting when I've watched squirrels foraging only to turn around the next time and see a deer there.

Squirrel season probably opens before deer season.  At least it does here in KY.  Use this time to get your "wood legs" -- strengthen you muscle to move slowly feeling every little branch under your feet and be able to shift your weight so the limb doesn't snap. 

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Jake Levi

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:28 am »
If inexperienced stay on a stand and observe, you'll learn far more that will help in stalking.

If you must stalk pick a day when the leaves are wet, then slow and easy from down wind. 

Did I say slow, and easy ?  Take a step and stop, look ahead and use your peripheral vision as much as possible.

Motion is a give away. Keep it to a minimum.

Offline Hillbilly Deluxe

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »
     I live on a golf course and get to practice stalking most if the year, it's awesome. The biggest thing that I would say is that you have to get into a totally different mind set. When it is life and death every day as it is with animals decisions are not made near as hastily as in our daily lives. Slow down, way down, and try to become part of the surroundings.

I shot my first bull elk last season with a rifle but it was at 18yds. (during 3rd rifle season in CO this is a feat) with about eight other cows around him. The wind was right in our face and my friend and I snuck right up on them. It was the greatest hunting of my life.