Author Topic: Reflex/deflex (pics)  (Read 7021 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Reflex/deflex (pics)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 05:12:36 pm »
Kviljo! I always love your bows. Too bad this one didn't last. That design is almost like a less extreme design of adam karpowicz's low stack design. Anyways, great bow. What did you do for that handle? I like it a lot.

Offline acker

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »
Looks like my first r/d  ::)

Work with a powerlam, 40cm long to get the handle area stiffer and don't ad to much deflex 2 -3 cm is normally enough.
The laminations should bend nicely round when you clam / press them into the form. If they not, taper a bit more so they do.

acker

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »
It broke about 2/3 in from the right limb. The glue line between the beech and the cherry did fail in the break, but I think the backing went first. I broke the other limb on purpose, and it snapped quite easily. On that limb, the glue line did not fail. The backing was quatersawn ash with no real flaws, and should be pretty safe so I'm a little puzzeled by it.

I think perhaps it was a combination of the low humidity and the choice of woods that led to the breakage. Ash is usually stiffer than beech, so the beech just under the ash backing might have put extra stress onto the ash. It should probably also have been bending more in the outer 1/3.

Perhaps? Any expert tips on the R/D-design is very much appreciated :)
My last bow is backed with ash. So far, a verious serious shooter.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 09:50:15 pm »
sorry to hear that kviljo - I'm sure your next will be a good one ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 03:07:47 am »
I don't know, I would not use beech in a bow I guess; too short fibers I'd say...
Could that be the reason for the frailure??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 06:53:09 am »
The beech might have put more stress onto the ash bacing, but beech alone works nicely as selfbows. I've made 20-30 board selfbows from it - both longbows and flatbows.