Author Topic: Simple Reflex Glue-Up Question  (Read 3077 times)

PeteDavis

Simple Reflex Glue-Up Question
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »
OK, getting ready for glue up. Elm board, 2" x 3/4" x 72". Hickory strip is under 1/8".

I plan to glue this up full thickness, and shape and tiller the laminated piece.

I want to glue in some reflex at the handle, relative to the limbs. I already have an R/D form I can use.

If I want to get 1.25" of reflex at the handle relative to the tips, how much difference should I pull into the lams before they set up and cure? I can shim as needed to get what I want. I plan to clamp 1.5" of difference and hope to keep most of it. Using URAC. Am I close? Should I go for more?

Thanks in advance-PD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Simple Reflex Glue-Up Question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »
When I made my Hickory Backed Birdseye Bow ( the one thats in the BOM Contest this Month)...I glued in 4 inches of Reflex...and by the time it was all said and done...I still have 3 1/4" of Reflex in it...now this could very with Types of Wood...but I have always had most of the Reflex stay...if it's Glued in...not as much stays when Heated or Steamed....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:06 pm »
Assuming I can keep most of the reflex that I glue in, would 2" of reflex be reasonable on a 70" bow that will be strung into a D type profile? I'm really just trying to get ahead of potential string follow. Thanks again-PD

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:03:26 pm »

I plan to glue this up full thickness, and shape and tiller the laminated piece.
Full thickness wood  be 1" right, lots to bend and tillering should add more reflex as belly gets thinner/weaker back stays same.?.?

N2
Genesis 27: 3

PeteDavis

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08:19 pm »

13/16ths total thickness after glue up. Think I'll go for 1.5" reflex and see how the tillering goes.  I have three more kits to expand my ideas later on. Thanks to all! PD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:54:18 am »
Pete, if you pre-shape and pre floor tiller the belly before glue-up the limbs will have a nice even bend to them after glue-up. Also more than about 3" of induced reflex can be self defeating by overpowering the belly resulting in more set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturner

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:17:14 pm »
What kind of elm are you using? I tried some elm board bows and they took alot of thickness to get anything over 35 lbs, I wasnt to happy with the hickory backed elm, it did work but I switched to elm backed hick and was much happier with the results. I was using american elm and it was very light in weight It could have just been the borad I had too
Jake Turner     Michigan

PeteDavis

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »

Red elm heartwood. If it comes in light, it will be a ladies bow for my GF.
I still have a locust (1) and sassafras (1) kit.
PD

Offline Aries

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »
does the type of glue used effect the tillering process or the amount of reflex a bow will hold after it is glued up???
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline markinengland

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:07 pm »
I you glue in reflex and then remove wood from the belly in tillering you may well gain reflex but lose performance. If the belly is well tillered before glue up you'll keep most of the glued in reflex and performance but lose a little reflex in spring-back when it comes out the clamps.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »
Thats the way I did my Birdseye Maple Bow...I nearly had it finish tillered...then I glued on the Hickory Backing...and I ended up keeping over 3 inches of the 4 inches I glued into it.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:32 pm »
I was always told not to bend the bow backwards after you start tillering, not even a little bit.

Why is that?  Could it do damage to the belly? back?

I have made several backed bows and tappered the slats to get an even bend but never
pretillered them as in compressed any wood on the belly.

Jamie 

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:03 pm »
I have heard people say this...but then ....I never do what People say as a Whole...I listen to what They have to say....then I do what I feel is best...and I have backed many Bows this way...even put 6 layers of Sinew on a fully Tillered Bow before...and did it so nicely that it barely needed any re tillering after it was all said and done...bit I will not try that again...probably could not be that Lucky again..... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome