Author Topic: Grip / handle rework?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline riarcher

Grip / handle rework?
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:58 am »
Rainy days get me into trouble.  ::) (on the 3rd, 2-3 more to come)

I have this osage bow that I bought that I thought was a shoot around self bow. It wasn't.
Anyways, it has a sight widow cut out (of sorts) and a handle area.
Back side is alright, but the belly side is off about a 35 degree angle. Makes all feel like it's shooting sideways as best as I can describe it. I'd like to cure it somehow.

I know it would never match and look right, but was thinking of whittling a piece of osage(?), fit and tight bond it to the afflicted area. Then I could work it into the profile to try and straighten out the handle some.
Could also cover it from fade to fade to hide it and hopefully look better. Then again, fade to fade handle cover would look weird too.

Would it work? Is there a better way? Anyone done this?

I'm still in the market for a osage character bow. These things are scarcer than hen's teeth! You guys keep all that you make? Where would one look for a already completed self, shoot around, osage (quality) bow??????? I keep scaning variouse "classifieds" but nothing seems to show.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline riarcher

Re: Grip / handle rework?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:57 pm »
.... or is this just a dumb idea?

Not 30 Deg. more like 15 -20 deg. braced & drawn.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:08:35 pm by riarcher »

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:38:37 pm »
curious where the string tracks when this is braced up?...
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:12:33 pm »
Bottom photo -  :o Don't even look comfortable. Have had it for a month now, and yet to take a shot with it. Just feels sooo,,,, "Not right"(?). Truethfully, I've not shot it because I'm a bit "bummed out" with it. When drawn, it seems like the belly side is / wants to rotate to the right. Making it feel even more "sideways". (Think I'm showing "my sign ("L")" here.  :-\)
strung;

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:40:45 pm by riarcher »

half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »
riarcher,
        You know this old man dont do stave bows....but, it looks like you could fit a piece of wood to the "arrow pass" maybe use some gap-filling epoxy. After that I would file on 4 "flats"...like when you make a square into an octagon...I do that quite a lot on purpose to help index the grip into the hand. Dont exactly know, but if the string is off to the side of both limbs it will naturally try to turn to line up with the draw force.....you could build up the "hole" and "octagon it and try that...if it doesn't help you wont be out anymore than you are now. Also you could sew your regular leather handle cover on and by adding a thin leather thrust plate you should get most of the fill covered, and it might be somewhat "shootable"
for what ever it worth....just one guy's opinion
half eye

Offline riarcher

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »

"........and it might be somewhat "shootable"
for what ever it worth"

Yup, about what I figured. ("F"ed" again.)  :(
A more honest reply may be, "Burn it!"

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:18:07 pm »
The obvious problem with that bow is that the wood wanted to be a lefty and the bowyer wanted a righty.   Sell or trad it to a lefty ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 05:09:34 pm »
Since it wants to twist right when drawn (and the shelf is on the left side of the bow), could you not just flip it over and then it will want to twist "left" at draw, which should allow you to shoot around the bow?....
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:32 pm »
As mentioned. I'm still in the market for a character bow (I know, slow learner, but I've learned a great deal).
I'm feeling like I'm being pushed to make my own.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:40:48 am by riarcher »

Offline riarcher

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »
Since it wants to twist right when drawn (and the shelf is on the left side of the bow), could you not just flip it over and then it will want to twist "left" at draw, which should allow you to shoot around the bow?....

Correction, changed this reply.  :D
At first, held it unstrung and looked. Didn't seem to do much for me.
Started "scrutinizing" as to other possibilities (all sorts of stuff).
Well strung it, flip it upside down(?) and wonderbar! Feels, looks, and seems soooo much better.
Gonna try shooting it today. If it works, I'll put a insert in the cut-out and wrap.
Surprisingly, upside down I don't notice the tendancy to twist either.  :o I'm puzzled by that though.
Wondering if the guy did a "Oppps!" and cut the window on the wrong end by mistake somehow.  ???

Decided I've GOT to make me one! After all, how many tries could it really require?  ;D (Man, this place is like a disease!  ;)) Off to Ebay with me.  >:D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:36:44 am by riarcher »