Author Topic: burlap as backing  (Read 2160 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

burlap as backing
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »
hey guys, i just found out i got some burlap in my garage, and as i don't know if it always is, it says it is made out of jute. will this stuff work for a backing on a bow less than 40lbs. draw weight?maybe glued down and possibly 2 layers?it is not really tightly woven, which is why I'm concerned it might not work. i just think it would look alot nicer than duct tape, because to me primitive is not necessarily natural materials but more what you have available.
thanks in advance,
mitchell
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: burlap as backing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:50:40 am »
Jute will work fine...and if it's a Toss-Up between an old Potato Sack...and a piece of Duct Tape...the Jute will win every time... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wildman

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:14:28 am »
camo duct tape is stealthy,sometimes primitive is making the most of your enviroment,jute looks classy hey beauty is in the eye of the bowholder
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:51:20 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:58:12 pm »
     I'm with George and El D, have used both Jute and Hemp for backing some short paddle bows and both worked very well. I applied mine with TB-II, worked out fine.
half eye

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »
Wanna do one even cooler...take Jute Cord...Brush it out with a Steel Comb to make long fine strands...like Sinew...and then lay it out like Sinew with TiteBond...or even Hide Glue....looks quite a bit like a nice Sinew Job...I did it...and made the Jute half the length of the Limbs...and covered the overlap up with a Leather Grip...looked great too....just a thought....and remember Who gave you the Idea......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »
thanks guys! now, the duct tape i put on one of my bows, its really cheap quality(dollarama), so it isn't really sticky as some of the higher quality stuff, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem taking it off as long as i take it off in direction of the grain, right?
thanks
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"