Author Topic: Dyeing bamboo with the rind on?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Dyeing bamboo with the rind on?
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:58 pm »
Well, after popping a splinter on one of my beautiful r/d bows I'm set to make another one. This time I'm thinking of leaving the rind on, since I think I've read a few more posts saying to leave it on. However, the rind on a lot of bamboo pieces I've seen can look pretty skanky so I'm thinking of dyeing it. I have plenty of colors of leather dye so I'm wondering - does the dye adhere well to the rind or are all these dye jobs I'm seeing done on bows with the rind taken off? Also, how do you apply the dye - even coats and then wipe off, or something like putting it on and letting it sit a while? I read about and seen a lot of dyeing jobs but pretty much nothing that I can recall about how to actually apply the dye.

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Dyeing bamboo with the rind on?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »
If you really wanna dye with the rind on, I'd first scrape off the waxy layer...get under that and you find a dull whitish layer right? You could dye that.....I take it all off....JMHO!

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:32:50 am »
i usually go over the boo with a very light sanding with 220 just to break the waxy outer surface. I then use a alcohol based dye applied with a small brush. It looks good if you hit the nodes first with black or a darker stain, let that part dry and then use a lighter stain for the parts between the nodes. Or go over the whole surface with one color and let it dry and then hit the nodes with a darker stain. Either way, the contrast is what looks good.I leave the boo edges natural by hitting them with a sanding block with 220 after the stain job. Have fun.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:09:26 am »
Grunt,

I take it you're not sanding enough to start seeing fibers, correct?

Grunt

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:36 am »
Correct, just scuff sanding to break that waxy outer surface. It takes no more than 4 or 5  super light passes with the grain with new sharp 220 grit to break that glaze. Don't use old dull sandpaper.  You might want to practice on a piece of scrap first.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:13:56 am »
I dye the entire backing with the darker shade I want, then use 0000 steel wool to lightly hit between the nodes to lighten the shade in those areas.

[attachment deleted by admin]