Author Topic: Bamboo backing lifting a splinter  (Read 2127 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Bamboo backing lifting a splinter
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:41:29 am »
 I have a bamboo backed d/r bow and it's starting to lift a splinter on one of the limbs between nodes. It's just getting started so I'm pretty sure I can do something to save the bow. My first thought is to wrap the area with serving thread and covering that with epoxy. My second idea is to simply apply silk backing to the entire back of the bow. A third option would be to cover the offending area with high test fishing line and then still cover the whole thing with a silk backing to cover up the fishing line reinforcement. Thoughts about what's the better option here? I think the backing started lifting the splinter because I sanded off the rind and then because I had problems with the finish, I sanded the rind again a couple more times thus probably removing a bit too much of the rind and actually maybe getting a little bit down into the power fibers. My next couple bamboo backed bows will be done without sanding the rind.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo backing lifting a splinter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:16 am »
Super glue under the splinter first.
I think the best option is sinew wrap since it will tighten up on the splinter. Another option that works well is wrapping the area with silk thread then saturating the silk with super glue.  Silk backing on the whole bow is also a good option.

Just make sure you do not apply any silk, sinew or anything else with fibers running parallel to the limbs unless you do it to the whole limb.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

Re: Bamboo backing lifting a splinter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:41:12 am »
Superglue the splinter down, apply a thin rawhide patch over the top, and then wrap the patch with thread - that will fix it.
Gordon