Author Topic: Quick warbow construction question  (Read 6041 times)

GW

Quick warbow construction question
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:14:00 pm »
Hello,

I am interested in building a warbow, but have only been able to access information regarding longbow building, which states that to make a longbow one would first mark the middle of the stave and then add 1" above and 3" below for the handle. Since the warbow has a full compass type draw and does not usually have a defined handle, this step would be unnecessary right? Rather, one would instead mark the middle of the stave and work from there.

Thank you for your time,

G

Rod

Re: Quick warbow construction question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:42:38 pm »
That should not be necessary in a single stave heavy bow with traditional tiller. It's more the sort of thing you might do with a lawn archery target bow where you were going to include "Buchanan" dips to get a fat handle on a skinny bow.

Not to say that you still should not tiller the bow with a definite considered view of which you regard as the top limb.
Even so I would not expect to see target bow style different top and bottom nocks, rather the same top and bottom.

Rod.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:44 pm »
if you were to hold the bow so that the centre of your fist is the centre of the bow you will actually find that the bow is not bending from it's centre because the bow tends to be held against the upper part of your hand (base of thumb)

So the "handle area" does want to be apparently lower than the centre of the bow (something like 1" up and 2" down)

i.e.  Basically you want the centre of the bow to be the centre of where the bow is in hard contact with your hand when you are drawing it - put your hand in this position, mark the arrow pass and job done
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:28:31 am by alanesq »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »
Like wot Alanesq sez innit..
With a full size longbow you have some margin of error as it's long and all working...just don't get confused by Victorian style bows or American 'longbows'
You may also find the stave dictates how it's built.

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Rod

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:12:19 am »
As Alan says, but all hand bows are in some degree dynamically asymetrical when handled. The handle below centre convention derives from the fact that when we place our hand on the bow, a mid-hand pressure point on the dimensional centre of the bow creates the below centre handle position.

Rod.

GW

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:01 pm »
Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:10:01 pm »
You must have been tempted to do a centre-shot, Del :D

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »
Nice looking character Del!

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 08:46:44 pm »
Hello,

I am interested in building a warbow, but have only been able to access information regarding longbow building, which states that to make a longbow one would first mark the middle of the stave and then add 1" above and 3" below for the handle. Since the warbow has a full compass type draw and does not usually have a defined handle, this step would be unnecessary right? Rather, one would instead mark the middle of the stave and work from there.

Thank you for your time,

G

Since we are making longbows of the late mediaeval period, it might make sense to use the method used at the time. Balance the arc tillered bow on the thumb, then close the hand on the bow. No need to mark anything.