Author Topic: Pecan log--Bark on or nbark off?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Pappysc2001

Pecan log--Bark on or nbark off?
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »
New shopping center going in around the corner. I stopped and asked the guy cutting all the very large Pecan trees down what they are going to do with the wood. Afetr a few minutes of negatiation I carted off a 8-9" 7 foot pecan log. I am going to quarter it for slef bow. My question is shopuld I cure it with the bark on or the bark off?
Thanks for any info
Ted

Lombard

Re: Pecan log--Bark on or nbark off?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:44 pm »
Ted, I am working a pecan stave now. Just moved to short string. Now on this little bow I left some of the bark on, and when tillered to about twenty inches I heard the terrible sound crack. Turned out to be just the bark popping off. This is my first Pecan, and it has been drying for almost a year, in the attic. Don't know if it is normal for the bark to pop off like that, but I will remove all the bark from the stave on the next one.

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:30:01 pm »
Sorry Ted, meant to add that, the next green wood I get I'll remove the bark, and then coat the back and ends with shellac.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:07:07 am »
The bark will be holding fast this time of year. It will probably be easier to remove it now then when dry. I would seal the back if you do remove the bark, just in case. Be sure you store it will so rot doesn't set in.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:45:00 am »
I would treat it like Hickory or most other white woods. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappysc2001

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:12:27 am »
Thanks for all the feedback. One more quick qustion. Should I treat it with insecticide before putting it away to cure?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:17:08 pm »
I would for sure if you leave the bark on,it wouldn't hurt if you take the bark off,better safe
than sorry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:33 pm »
If you get the bark off, you don't have to worry about insects. If you leave the bark on, it'll look like Swiss cheese in a few months. Yank the bark off and seal the back.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:11:48 pm »
true I think the young borers have to have the bark to get a start in but i have had staves that were stored bark off and still found borer damage from the little guys that were already in the wood thats why I spray my staves with poison i have used it way stronger then the recommended  strength and covered it with plastic drop  till I want to start carving and use gloves till I get the outer wood off or you could take a pressure washer and get the poison off I guess

Offline Pappysc2001

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »
Thanks again guys. I went ahead and de-barked, sealed back and ends and I will fumigate as a just in case measure. I live in that land of many pecan trees, but no one ever cuts them down, let alone sells you a $20 log. That is why I am being so careful. Staves will get put up tomorrow and then brought out maybe around ......Thanksgiving.