Author Topic: Mollegabet limbs question  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Frode

Mollegabet limbs question
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:20:18 pm »
Hi all,
I see that on many long bows the upper limb curves a bit more, would that also be true on a Mollegabet style bow?
Here's a 60" version I'm in the middle of now, 59" ntn, only drawn to about 14" so far.  I expected this one to be a wet noodle, but right now it pulls 15#@14", which would put it north of 55#@24", right?
As others have mentioned, seeing past those levers is, well, different, so I'd appreciate your expert eyes and comments.
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Mollegabet limbs question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:33:20 am »
Looking Good Frode...if anything right now...I think that the Bottom Limb is not bending as much as the Top is...thats where I would do a little more right now....

Mollegabet Style Bow are not supposed to bend through the Levers...although I don't see why...it can't hurt if they bend slightly...would only seem to help cast and speed...

And I may be wrong...but isn't in the Ball Park to say 3 pounds per Inch of Draw? If thats the Case this Bow should be around ....what...45 pounds when finished then...right?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 04:56:10 am »
45# ...probably less because the levers will make for a lower increase of weight towards the end of draw, I would think.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Frode

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:14 am »
...but isn't in the Ball Park to say 3 pounds per Inch of Draw? If thats the Case this Bow should be around ....what...45 pounds when finished then...right?
:D :-[ ;D All those years of sleeping in math class coming back to haunt me...  The lower limb, I thought I was seeing that too, but every time I flip it it looks different.
45# ...probably less because the levers will make for a lower increase of weight towards the end of draw, I would think.
This one does feel a lot different throughout the process than the long bows I've made so far  :-\
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:43:07 am »
Looks like it is time to go slow now.  Without seeing the width of the outer limbs it is hard to say, but from what I see you are "there". Time to do the final tiller and finish.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:01:15 am »
Looking great to me Frode. ;)