Author Topic: warbow weight training  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: warbow weight training
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »
exactly how young are you?
I would rather not post my age publicly...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 10:06:51 pm »
Why?

Offline AH

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 11:27:39 pm »
He has a right not to post his age. If he doesn't want to, then all I can say is we shouldn't heckle him.

As for training up to a heavy bow and being young and still developing, I started archery only a few years ago, and at first I only shot a 30 pound recurve. Then I went up to a 40 pound ELB, started making my own, made a few fiftey-pounders and  two in the 60s range, long story short, now I can comfortably pull an 80-90 bow. My goal is to be able to shoot around 100-110 soon, so that I can shoot a new warbow that I am currently working on.  :)
but every time I increased poundage, I went up only by about ten pounds, and I trained extensively with that bow for a while before going up again. the point is, go slow and gradually to let your body, tendons, and muscles grow used to the stress, and you'll make it. Make an abrupt, rash jump in draw weight, and you're liable to turn something inside out.   ;)

Offline fisher2

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:27 am »
im not trying to heckle him im just trying to figure out how fragile his frame is of still growing if he's 16 or so yes he's still growing but he wont have nearly as much time to mess with his body ( think i heard at one time they found bodys of warbow men that where trained from young age and had skeletal issues due to such) if he's too young drawing 80-100% of his weight will increase his chances of having joint issues in older age and can cause a bunch of other issues so yes it is a valid question being that he brought up his age as being a factor

also excuse me for not shooting 100#+ for so long?  does anyone really care if i shoot 80# or 180#? isnt it most about putting the arrow in the mark at your draw weight with ease?

maybe these concerns are just me thinking as a biology major and yes he has 100% right to not post his age if he doesnt want to
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:42:18 am by fisher2 »

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:32 am »
Would posting your age on this forum be a risk?

Offline fisher2

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 12:59:37 am »
i dont think so  but he has full right to not want others to know for whatever reason he has

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:16 am »
Fair enough. Just confused about why.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:38:54 am »
He has a right not to post his age. If he doesn't want to, then all I can say is we shouldn't heckle him.

As for training up to a heavy bow and being young and still developing, I started archery only a few years ago, and at first I only shot a 30 pound recurve. Then I went up to a 40 pound ELB, started making my own, made a few fiftey-pounders and  two in the 60s range, long story short, now I can comfortably pull an 80-90 bow. My goal is to be able to shoot around 100-110 soon, so that I can shoot a new warbow that I am currently working on.  :)
but every time I increased poundage, I went up only by about ten pounds, and I trained extensively with that bow for a while before going up again. the point is, go slow and gradually to let your body, tendons, and muscles grow used to the stress, and you'll make it. Make an abrupt, rash jump in draw weight, and you're liable to turn something inside out.   ;)

Good advice all around,  :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 04:37:58 pm »
im not trying to heckle him im just trying to figure out how fragile his frame is of still growing if he's 16 or so yes he's still growing but he wont have nearly as much time to mess with his body ( think i heard at one time they found bodys of warbow men that where trained from young age and had skeletal issues due to such) if he's too young drawing 80-100% of his weight will increase his chances of having joint issues in older age and can cause a bunch of other issues so yes it is a valid question being that he brought up his age as being a factor

also excuse me for not shooting 100#+ for so long?  does anyone really care if i shoot 80# or 180#? isnt it most about putting the arrow in the mark at your draw weight with ease?

maybe these concerns are just me thinking as a biology major and yes he has 100% right to not post his age if he doesnt want to
Thanks. That is more or less what I wanted to know... I am not going to be drawing more than about 60-70% of my weight. I just don't want to post it PUBLICLY. There are good reasons for that...

Sorry for starting a debate here.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline fisher2

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:49 pm »
your fine in my eyes at 60-70% if you go slow and listen to body

Offline bumppo

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »
Many bones in a younger body aren't fused until late adolescence, most famous for archers is the acromion, the two piece bone you can feel at the top of your shoulder. Heavy manual labor or pulling a heavy bow keeps them from fusing so examinations of medieval skeletons of archers often show this phenomenon, however, modern adults not subject to intense shoulder stress will have them fused. As a young (or any age) shooter, your biggest risks are a ligament sprain or a muscle strain. Both are basically tears to the tissue. When it happens, you need to stop and let it heal, period. Use ice to start, and Advil for inflammation. You can take some basic steps to help prevent this by properly warming up your muscles and joints before shooting. Muscles are heated by blood but your joints need movement to get the synovial fluid moving and lubricating. Just common sense right? Long term risks include tendonitis, bursitis, osteoarthritis and other over use injuries but if you take things slow and let your body adapt, it will. By the way, I'm 49 and like I said, I can easily handle my #120@32" but it took years to get there.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 07:51:51 pm »
Many bones in a younger body aren't fused until late adolescence, most famous for archers is the acromion, the two piece bone you can feel at the top of your shoulder. Heavy manual labor or pulling a heavy bow keeps them from fusing so examinations of medieval skeletons of archers often show this phenomenon, however, modern adults not subject to intense shoulder stress will have them fused. As a young (or any age) shooter, your biggest risks are a ligament sprain or a muscle strain. Both are basically tears to the tissue. When it happens, you need to stop and let it heal, period. Use ice to start, and Advil for inflammation. You can take some basic steps to help prevent this by properly warming up your muscles and joints before shooting. Muscles are heated by blood but your joints need movement to get the synovial fluid moving and lubricating. Just common sense right? Long term risks include tendonitis, bursitis, osteoarthritis and other over use injuries but if you take things slow and let your body adapt, it will. By the way, I'm 49 and like I said, I can easily handle my #120@32" but it took years to get there.
Is it good to not let it fuse or is it bad?

Offline bumppo

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:10:23 am »
Your acromion will fuse on its own and that's a good thing......

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 03:39:06 pm »
i learned to pull a 50# bow by working my way up in poundage using the bows at the club and lifting weights. i started with a simple 20# bow then after a month 25#bow after another month30# bow ect.... i gradually added 5# each month.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 03:41:57 pm »
Slow and steady... that's the way to do it.