Author Topic: Can osage be quick dried  (Read 2191 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Can osage be quick dried
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »
I was reading a post on here, (Todays harvest) and was wondering if osage can be quick dried. I have read that is should be sealed at the ends with the bark on and left to dry for 2 years. Could a ring be chased and the back sealed?  If so, if the bow is roughed out how long should it dry?? I have quick dried hickory with no checks.....but have heard that osage starts drying when hits the ground

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can osage be quick dried
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:18:07 pm »
Like any bow wood, the longer(to an extent) the better.  I bought a stave from Yazoo's Dad at Hickory NC 2 years ago that was cut May 8. The shoot was at the end of May and I had a 60" bendy handle static recurve built and shot in a month later. That bow developed frets and I am convinced that it hadn't been seasoned long enough(or it could have been my tillering  ;D )  I know folks that have been successful with quick drying osage.
  You can reduce a green osage stave to floor tiller stage, seal the back and let it dry well without adversely affecting the stave. It will dry quicker that way.  However, there is a big difference between a dry stave and a seasoned stave. Seasoned staves fair better as bows.IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC