Author Topic: my first 5 cane arrows +13 more..  (Read 3905 times)

Offline aero86

my first 5 cane arrows +13 more..
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
ive got a bunch of other straightened ones, about 96 100 grain field points and a lot of cut turkey feathers.  just need to find the time.  the quiver was pretty cool.  i bought it and a 40lb hickory bow at canton flea market this weekend.  its a coyote quiver.  it was 40 for a skin, 45 for a quiver, so i opted for the pre made quiver to save me some time.  the nocks still need to be finished up.  i forgot how many hands you need to fletch an arrow!  haha anyways, on to the pics!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:42:51 pm by aero86 »
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: my first 5 cane arrows..
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:05:06 pm »
Very nice! Now, I'm looking at the picture and want to ask: Are those screw-in field points that you inserted into the cane and glued in place? If so, that's a great idea! I'm going to try that!
Living a dream...

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:12:31 pm »
why yes it is!  good eye.  only one of them fit good.  the rest were a bit big, but i just shoved them in :-\  i was going to wrap with sinew anyways for strength.  but anyways, they should work great either way.  i just noticed the one was kinda crooked still.  nothing a little heat wont fix.  i cant wait to shoot them!  stupid cold weather!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:52:02 pm »
That is the way I do my cane arrows too, with the screw in field point.  MAKE SURE you wrap about an inch of thread behind your point with either thread or sinew.  Start at the base of the field point and wrap tightly all the way to an inch or so out.   It will keep your cane from splitting on impact.    Also scuff up the cane in that area before you wrap to keep the thread in place. Trust me I speak from experience.  I ruined two or three arrows before I figured that out.  Also after you wrap them coat the wrapping in a few coats of super glue or ducco cement.  It will keep the wrapping from fraying.  Your arrows look really nice!  I need to start my next batch for 3D shooting this spring.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:09:59 am »
oh, there is copious amounts of 5 minute epoxy in the shaft and over the sinew wrappings at the points!  haha.  im actually about to start fletching more shafts!

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:56:16 am »
Oh I see your wrap in the close up picture of the points now!!!  Sorry I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.  That sinew blends in so good with the cane in your pic.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 03:22:33 am »
well, if it were a better pic, it would be easier to see!!  haha ;D  so much easier to use the camera on my phone for quick pics, than it is my camera.. 

oh well.  got 4 more fletched tonight but no points yet.

Offline aero86

Re: my first 5 cane arrows +13 more..
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »
heres 13 more that i just finished.  well, kinda finished, no points yet.  im so happy with this bamboo, i dont think i will go back to anything else.  tough stuff too.  i actually made 14 of them, but one was too short, it was cut off at right about a node.  so i wrapped it with some artificial sinew and wanted to see what would happen.  i had a wooden pad that was made out of 2x6's i stood way back, and drew my new bow back to 27 of a 28 inch 40lb draw weight and let fly.  shot it 5 times, and other than a little mashing, no other damage, no splits or nothing, im impressed. 

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:03:22 pm »
GOOD LORD!!  You've been busy my friend... Nice arrows!   :)  -josh

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:41:27 pm »
yes, i have been, and i still would be ive i hadnt run out of straight shafts!  im gonna see if ive got any others that will straighten.  i might have to order 500 bamboo canes ;D