Author Topic: persimmon stave and recurving its tips  (Read 1367 times)

Offline luke the drifter

persimmon stave and recurving its tips
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:08:10 am »
been a while since i participated in conversing with you folks.  i have about a six foot piece of persimmon already roughed out to pre-tillering stage.  about a five or six inch handle area and the fades start at 1 and1/2 inches until it gets to the tips at 1/2 an inch.  is the length and the width of the fades acceptable for persimmon?  now to the recurving question,  when does one recurve tips-before or after final tiller?  i have some excellent pieces of osage orange staves in hiding at a friend's house until he retires in march or april.  they were cut and split in mid november of 2009.  would that be long enough for the curing process?  i might be persuaded to trade two staves for one that was made right by one of the members of the community, if such a thing is acceptable under the rules of this community.  if not, then please forgive a 40 year man's presumption.

Offline Frode

Re: persimmon stave and recurving its tips
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:40 pm »
luke,
Can you post any pics?  I'd like to see the stave, and your progress.  I've eaten plenty of persimmons  :D, but I've never done anything with the wood.  As for the trading, you might try checking over in the Trading Post section, too, to see if anyone's interested, or has what you're looking for.

Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.