Author Topic: chicken feathers for fletching??  (Read 6508 times)

PrimitiveHunter57

chicken feathers for fletching??
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:20:31 pm »
I have a couple of tail feathers from a chicken that are 6'' long. Im not sure if they'er thick anough fill me please.

Offline aero86

Re: chicken feathers for fletching??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:36:17 pm »
some native americans used crow feathers, so i dont see why chicken wont work. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

primitivehunter2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:47:30 pm »
six inches is a little small but should work fine, your only gonna get a 4 to 4.5 inch fletching though.  size of the feather doesnt really matter as much as how they're fletched on.. remember to use the tail feathers that were located from the same side so that they are all cupping the air the same way. they should work fine so happy hunting!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »
Use whatcha got.  Just don't use hawk, falcon, eagle, vulture, owl, or songbird feathers if you can't afford to pay serious $$$$ to the US Fish and Wildlife and be under their close scrutiny for the rest of your life.

I have seen an original Sioux arrow at the Museum of the Fur Trade that uses a mallard secondary wing feather (it has that cool metallic blue section) and a yellow shafted flicker primary as two of the three feathers.  Near as I can tell, the third feather is sharptailed grouse wingfeather. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:11 pm »
I've used guinea wing and black roster tail feathers.  They work, of course, but will not keep their shape well if you shoot a lot.  I use them mainly for kids arrows because they are cheap.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:55:32 pm »
Turkey tail feathers are the best...Turkey faethers were used more by native americans
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 02:43:04 am »
Last year around this time I was starting my journey into primitive archery.  I had just finished my first board bow 30 pounder and need arrows.  Also, I had 15 adolecent chickens that need to go into the freezer.  Their tail feathers were not fully developed so those weren't usuable.  I did make several arrows using their wing feathers using a 2 fletched style.  They seem to work well but didn't hold up very long. 

Use what you got until you can get better.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »

Use what you got until you can get better.
[/quote]

That is the undeniable truth. 

Okie...as for "best" feathers and the blanket statement about NA's using turkey tail feathers...most of the country didn't have turkeys back when they were using bows.  Only with the help of the National Wild Turkey Federation and numerous state Game and Fish organizations have we spread turkeys to 49 of the 50 states. A careful study of existing artifacts will show that they used any feather they could make work, some even used plant leaves from time to time.  I personally love the look of turkey tail feathers, I often use them for the cock feather with two wing feathers.  One of the reasons I like them is that all but the two outermost edge feathers will give up two fletches...one right hand and one left hand!  For tightwads like me, that means more "twang for your buck"!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.