Author Topic: oak roughing out advice  (Read 1433 times)

Offline aznboi3644

oak roughing out advice
« on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:47 am »
I cut down a 2.5" 25-30 year old oak with a usable 72" trunk with no branches and some character.

1/8 inch white sap wood all around and the rest a beautiful dark brown heartwood.  The final look should look nice with the 1/8 inch back and dark belly

I am looking to work for a 75 pounder with this stave.

4 inch handle but I'm not sure about how wide for the fades and for how long.

I don't have a camera at the moment but I can try to borrow one soon to get some pics of it up.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: oak roughing out advice
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:31:51 am »
Well, if you want it that heavy leave it as wide as you can which will probably be around 2-2.25 in. 75#  ay be asking allot of a sapling. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:28 am »
I agree with George. Leave it wide. If you find it getting too thin reduce it from the sides.
  What kind of oak is it? Different oaks have different properties.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39:48 am »
not sure what oak it is...the cambium is a smooth red just below the bark...that help??

well maybe not 75# but I wanna get the heaviest bow I can out of it.

half eye

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:02 am »
I'd listen to Pat and George, That viking bow I just made was not from a stave but the limb dimensions are as follows:

1.96" wide, .563" deep and the working length is 16.5" @ limb. I did not make it those dimensions those are the average measurements using a set of calipers AFTER the thing was made. The bow was northern white oak with about 1/16" growth rings. The caliper was just so I could give you correct average dimensions.

It probably wont be the same for your stave bow but it might give you some rough idea..... hope it helps some
half eye