Author Topic: chokecherry and sinew Blackfoot buffalo bow.  (Read 19680 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: chokecherry and sinew Blackfoot buffalo bow.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 05:25:39 pm »
oldbow i would appreciate that
This is an excellent "chokecherry pole" from my back yard. Length 80" (I'd cut it to 74"?) and 2 3/4" diameter.
Let me know if you would like it and I'll get the shipping price. Free, otherwise.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
Old Bow,

What's the specific gravity of that southern chokecherry?  I just dunked a cylinder of the Manitoba CC and was shocked to calculate that 68% of the wood was below the waterline!  If it's all like that, I don't know why everybody isn't using it, considering it's everywhere.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 11:57:00 pm »
wow,that bow looks like the real deal there..and the arrows too...i have to say that alot of people make Indian bows including me and they seem to not really have the old look...but,your bow does...great work..john

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 01:11:00 am »
Old Bow,

What's the specific gravity of that southern chokecherry?  I just dunked a cylinder of the Manitoba CC and was shocked to calculate that 68% of the wood was below the waterline!  If it's all like that, I don't know why everybody isn't using it, considering it's everywhere.
This is probably not southern chokecherry. It comes from about 150 miles south of Canada. (Latitude: 46.872)
I used to have direct reference to it for s. g. But Google brought up a s.p. of 35.82. I don't know if is exactly ours, though.
Don't let me misrepresent chokecherry. Even though it makes adequate bows, it is not in the league of hickory, ash, or osage.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 01:22:30 am »
Nice looking bow. Good to see something different used once in a while.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah