Author Topic: how do you offset feathers ?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: how do you offset feathers ?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 04:43:37 pm »
Eagle Feathers are revered here in the States by all Native Tribes....and are all...even the littlest of Hawks...Illegal to have in your possession without the proper paperwork....I know a man that works for the National Park Service here that can tell you what species of Feather you hold up to Him 9.5 out of 10 times....without touching it or getting closer than 5-10 foot....and tell you what wing  it's from ...and on some ...whether it was a Male or Female Bird....so they are not all Dumb to these facts...at least not here...as for the Dead Bird....it's a Felony to touch them...period...without the Paperwork....no exceptions.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »
Thats pretty cool that these birds are so well protected and respected. They have shot all the eagles over here in the UK back in the 50's there are only a handfull left in Scotland, Here in Wales  dumb farmers even blast the hawks with shotguns for no reason at all, and no-one would bother what feathers you had. I would never kill a hawk for his feathers but I use dead birds I find
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »
I don't think they have raptor feather laws in the UK. If you look at photos of various Scottish clan chiefs when they get together in Scotland, many of them have Eagle or other raptor feathers in their bonnets, behind the clan badge, to denote chieftanship.
Living a dream...

vtclimber

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 06:01:50 pm »
Almost all species of birds are protected to some extent under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. In the states, it is actually illegal to possess a feather from any migratory bird (although that is never enforced). I can attest to the needing permits to posses feathers. I have two freezers full of eagle feathers that I am using for analysis for some of my research. What I don't use will go the feds once the study is done. It is a BIG fine over here if you get caught with an eagle feather and don't have the appropriate permits........

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 06:08:50 pm »

It's the Big Brother Avian Flu syndrome...... ;D

Wayne

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 07:27:21 pm »
Yep , they got laws for just about everything! but still I think it is good the eagles are protected.
Vtclimber , what kind of work do you do that you got so many eagle feathers? if theres no laws here you could always send them here when your work is done ::)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:56 am »
Almost all species of birds are protected to some extent under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. In the states, it is actually illegal to possess a feather from any migratory bird (although that is never enforced).

Wouldn't that include goose feathers, then?

Goog

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 12:12:28 pm »
Geese are listed as gamebirds, and are legal to hunt within open seasons and possess the parts thereof. Same with ducks, doves, crows, etc.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.