Author Topic: Cutting steel for heads  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Greatgoogamooga

Cutting steel for heads
« on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:18 pm »
I'd like to give it a try making some broadheads from circular saw blades.  What tools do y'all use to cut the steel?  Hacksaw?  Dremmel?  Angle grinder?  If you say plasma torch, I'm outa here.   :)

Thanks

Goog

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Cutting steel for heads
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:36:28 pm »
Ive always used a dremel tool for cutting anything outta saw blades, trade points, knife blanks... etc..  Just make sure to go slow and try not to heat the blade up too much while cutting out your shapes with the dremel as this will destroy the original temper.  Usually I will use the reinforced cut off wheels and just go really slow.  Good luck!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:20:46 pm »
Dremel or side grinder. I have cut a few with a cold chisel, but it's a lot of work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »
                                  I cheat.......... :-[...........I used the Plasma Cutter at work............ >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:18 am »
One place I worked, we made bandsaw blades to order. We had a big cutter to cut the stock. I made some great trade points from wide bandsaw blade stock. I was able to use the cutter to shape pre-form blanks. The blanks only needed a little shaping on a stationary belt sander. Wish I made more...
Living a dream...