Author Topic: back to slabs  (Read 3070 times)

Offline sailordad

back to slabs
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:52 am »
well i couldnt decide what to do tonight
i scraped a little wood,that wasnt it
so i spalled a little rock and tried a point,that wasnt it either
i needed something differant,something i hadnt done for awhile
so i started looking thu my stack of slabs
no not this piece or this one or this,well wait a minute i remember this stuff
its the goldstone that turns kind of  translucent green,when it is actually a goldish brown
so it sat down,abraided the edges real good and turned them
then went to work on it.after about 1.5 hrs i had a decent point
nothing as pretty as a couple of guys on here(the two of ya know who are s.f.& l.b.) that i look up to as knappers
so here it is let me know what ya think
i am getting better at getting a sharp edge,now i just gotta get the tips thin.i am to afraid of breaking them off all the time
hers a pic or two

i know the back lit pic sucks and doesnt show the true color,but its the best i could do
thanks for peeking

peace,
                                                                                       tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

Re: back to slabs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:23 am »
Thats a great looking point Tim :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:09:20 am »
 That's nice, Tim.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:28:42 am »
Ain't a thang wrong with that! 8) 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:56 am »
Nice point!. That is some great looking material. I like that speckled look.

You used a term I have seen a couple times and just want to make sure I understand what it means. That would be "turning the edge". Does that mean taking a square edge and putting a zigzag pattern down the edge so you can start to work it?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:13 am »
Nice Job Tim....You sure took to that Knapping...wish I did........ :(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 11:23:42 am »
Nice point.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:27:31 am »
excellent work tim.  one thing i found is you dont want the tip to thin if youre gonna hunt with em. a strong tip doesnt break as easy when it hits bone allowing for more penetration. that goldstone is incredible looking. is that craigs stuff? was looking at some the other day  and thinking of trying it.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 12:49:39 pm »
back to slabs? ??? I never left them. Nice looking points.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline warhawk

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:46:25 pm »
I do slabs too. my son bought me some Brazialian agate and red jasper for Christmas to knapp and i just cant wait to see the slads which i will get in about 3 weeks.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 08:55:44 pm »
thanks for the kind words everyone ;D

Shannon: on my most recent work,i do like you say you do.i have been going much slower and planning every flake.i still look at the points i got from you and Jesse on a
              regular basis.and must admit,if it wasnt for them my edging work would still look pathetic.i analyze them points and figured out how to get a better edge.
              all thanks to you guys.its almost as good as getting verbal advise in person.

Stevent: yes that is what "turning the edge" means,atleast thats how i interpet it

Mike: my knapping may be decent,but i wish i could tiller a bow like you can.seems i have taken to knapping alot quiker than i did making bows.
        i havent made but three in the last year,started one a couple of weeks back just hope i can remember hot to tiller it

Jamie: we cant hunt with stone here in minnesota. i have made some with a i thicker centerline cross section that i use for shooting at the wood fence.
          and your right,the thicker ones hold up a whole lot better.the thin ones i have used for the same purpose bust right away.but the thicker ones
          i can pry out and reuse,well afer i fix the arrow shaft where it splts from the impact energy.
           i dont know who Craig is,i buy this at a rock shop abot 40 miles from my house in a town called Princeton.i would try it if i was you.personally i like working it.

Justin: i learned on slabs,but wanted to broaden my knapping horizons.so i have been working with spalls that i have aquired and learned how to make points from them.   
          i have also been working with nodules,learning how to spall.gotta say i prefer slabs as i dont waste near the amount of material that way.
          but i do like all the forms i have learned so far.next i want to get an all ABO kit and do that,then try a little FOG.

thanks again everyone

peace,
                                                                                           tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd