Author Topic: deer toes  (Read 4146 times)

Offline jturner

deer toes
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:04 pm »
How do i get them off? Can i cook em down for glue?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
Re: deer toes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:25 am »
  Assuming that what you have are still attached to the lower legs, you can put a pot of water on the stove...(oops..better take it outside, your wife`ll appreciate that)  over the fire, bring the water to a boil, stick the toes (& possibly the dewclaws as well) into the water for a couple minutes.  Grab hold with a pair of pliers & try twisting them off the leg.  They should come off pretty easily, but if not on the first try, give  `em a couple more minutes in the water.   Dewclaws & toes can be used for rattles, or pull tabs for the thongs on a pouch.   You could cook them to make hoof glue, but you`d be better off going to the grocery store & picking up some Knox gelatin... it`s the same thing & easier to get consistant results with.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 01:39:18 am »
i had asked this same question not long ago
got alot of responses,most said fresh ones should pull off with a pliers,others said to boil them
im getting legs this week end for the sinew,plan on keeping the toes for another guy on another site
ill let ya know how it works
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline deersled

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:23:03 pm »
I did this very same thing just yesterday. First time. Put feet in a pot of water, heated up on the grill, don't really need to boil. 5 minutes or so and try to pry off with pliers. POP......came right off. Dew claws and hooves. I have also heard they will come off a freshly killed deer without heating up? haven't tried that though.

Offline deersled

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:15 pm »
now that I can take em off.......what do ya'll do with em. they are pretty cool looking, just need some ideas.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:24:04 pm »
wel i have done about 20 legs worth of toes now
the last batch,man did they stink :o and i mean stink to high heaven

i trade mine with a guy in s.d. from another web site
him and his wife make rattles from them
i get rock ;D
makes us both happy
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »
I wonder if you could wrap them around a bow tip for an overlay.  Would they look like horn?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

SteveP

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »
Might be worth trying.... sounds interesting.

Steve