Author Topic: Bows we are not comfortable making  (Read 6544 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Bows we are not comfortable making
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 02:39:10 pm »
bow-toxo

sounds like Europe needs to learn a thing or two about game management
and that dude in Canada should be shot,just for shooting a sow that he knew had cubs
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 04:36:31 pm »
bow-toxo

and that dude in Canada should be shot,just for shooting a sow that he knew had cubs
I think Europe , like the rest of the world, needs to learn a thing or two about population management. Wild animals don't thrive on concrete developments that are replacing habitat. World wide habitat loss is making it impossible for wild animals to survive.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 05:41:41 pm »
Just a thought, I love to hunt, not for horns though as I have never tasted them.I just like to walk in the woods and watch mother nature do her thing. I love Autumn and the color of the leaves and the frost dew as it settles upon the earth as I sit in my tree stand watching for the deer to enter the fields, That I hunt. I also like to sneak up on the animals not to kill, but to see how close I can get. I like to spent time in the woods with GOD and my kids. I don't feel GOD when I hug a tree, But all I have to do is be quiet a while and look around and know, some power greater than me made all this and this is truly a privilege, not because of some law , but because I was able to choose to take my bow and enter the woods to hunt for fair game.Unfortunate has become other countries, I am sorry to say, And from time to time we need to speak up to protect this privilege here in our own country.  Denny

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 05:52:52 pm »
bow-toxo

I think Europe , like the rest of the world, needs to learn a thing or two about population management. Wild animals don't thrive on concrete developments that are replacing habitat. World wide habitat loss is making it impossible for wild animals to survive.

i agree yet disagree
i live in an area that is growing very fast.
we have more deer and turkey now than we did 30yrs ago thanks to good animal mgmt.
heck we even have mountain lions walking around a few towns in our state.one gets filmed on a regular basis too.
they havent harmed anyone or their pets as of yet so the DNR lets them be and just tells everyone to watch their pets and kids closely.
so i really dont see urban areas causing a decline in animl populations.they adapt beter than most folks give them credit for.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 10:03:25 pm »
Bows for someone else.  I don't mind breaking bows and often push the envelope too far when building one for myself. It is when I am building one for someone else and know they are anxiously waiting that makes me nervous that I might get in too big of a hurry and break it.
t
I agree. I've made and sold many bows, and I don't like deadlines either. I must say, I'm enjoying less and less making bows for others, especially paying customers. Takes the fun out of it, and it feels more like a job. I can finish a kid's bow in no time, just to enjoy the look on their face, but it seems to take forever to finish a custom order.  :P

Offline woodstick

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:57 pm »
thats me i like to give them to people who will n-joy it. if you sell one it seems like you cant make them 100% happy. and people dont know what it takes to make a all hand made bow with no power tools.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 01:01:43 am »
recently a good friend gave me a matched pair of buffalo horn strips,   I was super excited,  until i  realized i've got a whole lot of work ahead of me.  they sit in my room and I stare at them often.   I'm in that nervously anxious phase.
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 01:20:17 am »
I am not much of a bowyer, I have a hard time with any wood I try to make into a bow.. usually ends up being an atlatl or matched set of primitive digging sticks..  :o ;)
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 01:39:22 am »
i never make the same bow twice, whether it be selfbow, wood lam or glass bow. gotta mix it up. it makes it more challenging and interesting. i like to experiment and see what will happen if i shorten here, lengthen here, more recurve, longer riser, different woods, different limb shapes. it's all just fun for me.

heavy selfbows do worry me a bit

but what scares me and i haven't attempted yet is a glass bow with working recurves... soon...
Cape York, Australia

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 10:54:57 am »
I make selfbows or bows backed with rawhide, silk or burlap. Backed with anything only if I have to. I rarely set out trying to make a certain design. Whatever the wood wants  the wood gets. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!