Author Topic: self bows and big game  (Read 2279 times)

Offline NTProf

self bows and big game
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:14 am »
Just curious - I see a lot of people shooting deer, squirrels, turkeys, pigs with wooded bows. But I was interested to see how many of you have shot larger game with a self bow (or a backed bow, as long as it is all wood), such as Elk, Caribou, Moose? If so, what kind of bow, wood, draw weight? Any pictures?

Offline adb

Re: self bows and big game
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:21:38 am »
Trad wooden bows is all I hunt with now... backed bows, self bows... depending on my mood, game, and conditions. If I'm hunting deer, it's usually 50-60#, small game usualy 40-50#.

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 12:05:55 pm »
I got a nice 4 point bull elk last year with my self bow, it draws 57# @ 27", I shot the elk at about 18 yards had a complete pass thru the elk went about 30 yards. I was shooting a 700 grain arrow with a stos broadhead. There is really no question in my mind that a well placed shot with a self bow will take any animal in north America. Greg

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
I, myself have only taken alot of deer with selfbows and bbo. But have a picture from a friend in Michigan, who took a moose in Ontario with a 58lb. osage sinew backed recurve! He used a cedar arrow and jouneymen broadhead.

I hope to take a bear sometime soon with one, and would love to try after moose! No matter what the bow, shoot heavy , well tuned, and sharp broadhead at the proper place. That's the ticket!

Good shootin, Steve