Author Topic: first holmegaard ?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline jturner

first holmegaard ?
« on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:59 am »
What profile do i want for the non bendin tips? Do i leave them flat on the belly side or round them off? Its 68 inches tip to tip inch and a half wide elm. From a board not a stave
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: first holmegaard ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:03:48 pm »
No one else seems to be offering any advice so I'll jump it.
(Terms and conditions apply, contestants must be 18 or over ;) )
Make 'em deep (thick) enough not to bend and wide enough to remain stable and not flex sideways.
So I'd guess that means about as wide as the the thickness of the bow at the working section and say 2-3 times as thick as the working section.
Just bear in mind that stiffnes is proportional to the cube of the thickness and directly proportional to the width.
Sl for arguments sake the rigid bit is 1/3 the width of the working section it will be 1/3 as stiff. But if you make it twice as thick it will be 2x2x2 = 8times as stiff.
So overall that would be 8/3 times stiffer which is near as damn it to 3times stiffer than the bending section, bear in mind that there is less leverage close to the string.
So 1/3 the width twice the thickness should do it. But obviously better to go for a bit more and then remove the excess as far as you can hold your nerve.  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

half-eye

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:42:47 pm »
Hope this helps you out, a museum drawing of an actual specimen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

arc

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 03:14:28 pm »
do a search for 'HOLMEGAARD CHALLENGE' on this site.  Radius made a test of holmegaard designs and many guys wrote that they appreciated it and found it useful.