Author Topic: yew wood and sea level  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Blacktail

yew wood and sea level
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:19:26 pm »
does any one know if yew wood is any good at sea level (500)feet..i was wondering how this low of elevation effects yew wood growth.i have all ways been told to go high in elevation...john

Offline PatM

Re: yew wood and sea level
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:52 am »
Remember that wood can also grow slowly due to local conditions of soil and temperature. High altitude may practically guarantee fine rings but you can get that elsewhere from other factors. In Europe  people speak of good yew coming from colder countries where altitude isn't really a factor.

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:30 am »
hey blacktail,

I've harvested yew in Oregon and it's not just high elevation that makes yew have tight growth rings.  I've cut yew on the east side of the cascades, just west of Sisters.  And even though the yew was at very low elevation (in the foothills of the mountains) it had very tight rings.  And that is also because it grows on the dry side of the mountains, where rainfall is much less. 

I don't worry much about high elevation or low elevation when looking for yew.  What I look for is straight, knot free staves, regardless of where the yew grows.  I've seen tons of yew trees that were high in the Cascades that were useless for bows because they were just about covered in branches, whereas some lower elevation yew was much cleaner and was much better suited for bows. 

So there are a lot of other factors that play into the quality of yew besides just elevation alone.  But I wouldn't worry much about it.  If it's clean and straight and you can see a bow in it, then take it.  But if you want a REALLY good bow wood, go out into the desert and cut some juniper.  That stuff is amazing when sinew backed....it's super flexible and can be snappy as hell.  I call it "desert yew", and I think it makes the best sinew backed bow there is.  Yew can't hold a candle to it in my opinion..... 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Chiloquin

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:57 am »
ya john, i think your looking for some condition that doesn't let the tree grow!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:00:42 am »
Ignore almost everything you read, cut some wood and believe your own experience.
My 75# lonbow is cut from English Yew from a low lying region near the South coast, in sight of the sea. It is a fine bow, but of course we read people dogmatically stating you can't make a decent bow from English Yew...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:30:42 am »
well.i am not looking for bow wood...i have been looking at a town to move to(port angeles,wa)...AND i found out that there is a bowyer that lives there..goes by the name of jim...and he makes only yew wood bows...some of the area up there is 500 feet and i was just curious about that kind of elevation and yew...guess it dont matter..thanks john