Author Topic: Opinions on Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Opinions on Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia?
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:01 pm »
I was searching for something else bow-related on Google and came up with this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sYBT1c2NKVoC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=old+master+crafters+bows&source=bl&ots=K4k9KOL8cw&sig=enZ7WWlr1KKs_wC-gXkE885G6ng&hl=en&ei=nzEcS6ulCJH6sQPVsqn3Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CCUQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=old%20master%20crafters%20bows&f=false

I'd read one bad review of this book on Amazon in the past. The reviewer said it was just the same book as published from 1989 with no new information. Granted, even if it is un-revised, I skimmed parts of it and found it to be interesting nonetheless. I'm interested in all aspects of the history of archery and lately I've been reading and learning a bit more about the resurgence of interest in traditional archery that got started back with Howard Hill and the early big names here in the U.S. Anyway, this book looks like it has a good bit of information on some earlier bowyers and how they built their bows. A lot of it would seem to be about makers of glass bows, which I know doesn't fly here. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had this in their library and what you think of it.

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: Opinions on Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
haha i have it! got it for my birthday, but not really the type of archery i like(fiber-glass and all), but i read some of it and it is interesting, but like i said i prefer more primitive.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Kirkll

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:44:11 am »
i thought it was a good read, and found it amusing in spots. a lot of cool info there. i liked the way the writer worked his way accross the country interviewing bowyers of all sorts.... its not what i would call a "Go to" book for info. but nicely put together . IMO

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:39 am »
It's one of those books that I pick up and read a bit every time I go to the bookstore (so a couple times a week at least), but it isn't one that I have shelled out the cash for yet.  Maybe one of these days when I'm a bit more affluent.  I wouldn't rank it up with the TBB series or a few others, but it's certainly got some good stuff in it and is interesting.  It's just kind of stuck hovering in the middle ground for me.  Nothing wrong with it so far as I can tell though.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:29 am »
interesting stuff but mainly fibreglass bowyery!! good little stories through it though of hunting trips and reasons why the people became bowyers.