Author Topic: Suggestions for Navajo bow...  (Read 3135 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Suggestions for Navajo bow...
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:50 am »
Yeah something relatively simple this time...and we're going to put some money into it so I'm not limited by a budget.  Anyway...my company does a great deal of business with the Navajo nation, and my boss has a very long running friendship with them.  I thought it might be interesting to make him a replica Navajo bow, but I don't know where to start.  I get all kinds  of random information through google ranging from 40" bows that pulled 80lbs to 80" bows that barely pulled 50...anyone got any good info, or links to reputable sites that have specs?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions for Navajo bow...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 02:31:55 am »
Drop Billy a PM. He has a series of articles coming out in PA soon with many bows, etc from all over the country. Might be a pic and dimensions in one of the TBB books.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 02:33:32 am »
Is his user-name "Billy"?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:34:20 am »
                                           Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows & Quivers  
                                                   Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans

eBay....Amazon.com...all kinds of places handle these Books

Mak....his Moniker is .....billy.....no capital letter
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:37:38 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 04:48:23 pm »
mak 71,
     I have 7 Navajo bow pics....these bows are from the Peabody Museum...I'm attaching them to this post...actually 2 cause there are 7 pics. Hope this helps you out.
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:50:58 pm »
here is the rest

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:05:16 pm »
Are those the full size pics?  They're just pretty small...but I can get what I need from them visually.

Do you know what they were made from?  Also, what kind of weight they pulled?

half eye

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »
M 71,
       You can google up the Peabody Museum ( they got several entries) click into searchs....the top slot is for "people" so just type in Navajo....then it will ask if you want to refine, say yes...go the second slot "type object" and put in BOWS the pics will pop right up. I sent the ones as downloaded....but if you click on the photos you will a big picture ...plus a zoom feature...your printer should do the reat for ya.
       I'm sorry I dont know how to post a link or I find it for and post that. I'm older than this computer stuff and only know enough to be thuroughly dangerous!!!! ;D
half eye

half eye

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:17:25 pm »
sorry I forgot the second part of your question....as a matter of fact the favored wood for their bows and arrows (shoots from the same tree) is Fragrent Ash: Oleaveae (Fraxinus Cuspidata Torr.) The stuff is only native to 4 of the south western states ...Nevada, Arizona are two of them.
half eye

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:29:52 pm »
No problem...thanks for the info.