Author Topic: Little Penobscot  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Little Penobscot
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:57 pm »
I saw those too, like the ones done in a few of the back issues of PA. I'm just a bit too lazy though ;D. I've just tied them, never had any issue.

This whole Penobscot thing makes me want to make a full sized one though... >:D

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
Looks like you're having fun. Bookmarked as a laminate for November, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Dano

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 06:34:35 pm »
"This whole Penobscot thing makes me want to make a full sized one though"

I hear ya, one day I plan to make one too. I got that same lazy bug tho. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline uwe

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:12 pm »
That`s a project I`m dreaming of!
Fine bow Kegan!
Regards Uwe

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 01:21:50 pm »
Thanks all.

Dano, I did one when I fisrt started, even with all my mistakes that thing shot pretty well. I have a R/D longbow on the rack that isn't going well though... I think I see it getting a make over pretty soon... >:D

Offline Dano

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 07:10:46 pm »
I hear ya, I have a short osage stave that's got penobscot written all over it. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »
Nice work Kegan,  Those Penobscots are intriguing bows.  I always found it odd that those were only found in Maine.(At least that is what I heard)
Traverse City, MI

Offline wally

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 03:44:36 pm »
Penobscot bows are certainly beautiful (eye of the beholder and all that!), although I always had doubts as to their age, use and above all, doubtful advantage.  I have made several bows and, fascinated by them, decided to study its heritage.
The research kind of lent to it being less than 150 years old!
I had an article printed a few months ago, called 'Pondering the Penobscot', Primitive Archer August/Sept 2009 Vol 17 issue 4 showing, what appears to me, the definitive age and authenticity of this 'warbow'.
Anybody read it? I would love to hear your response on the old 'chief' and my article and photo's
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »
I read- and thoroughly enjoyed- the article!

Personally, I have no idea the origin of the bow. But I have seen the effects of this design. One of the first few attempts I made at a D bow wound up with a slow, bending-too-much in the handle bow. It was weak, slow, and a total failure. I can't even remember why, but I tied a little bow to the back and made a Penobscot out of it- whoooooo boy! It jumped to about 60# and shot better than my other 60# bows. How? Why? No idea then.

It seems that the Penobscot is a careful balancing act. If you start with the main bow being only slightly lighter than the final intended draw weight, then the increase in performance would be slight- or, if the small back bow. strings, and bow-to-bow friction (which might also cause as much trouble as limb hystersis). The few keys to a good one (and things I'm trying right now):

1. low stack back bow with high dry fire speed (so it actually pulls the limbs forward instead of just getting in the way).
2. bend near the handle of the main bow so the short bow won't push against it, causing useless stack
3. main bow very light in mass (and bow weight). I think this is the key. If the bow has the mass of, say, a 30# bow, but has the draw weight and stored energy (which is why the back bow needs to be fast and without stack and both need to be tuned well) of, say, a 65#+ bow, then the bow would have more energy for the arrow and less needed to move the limbs. The bigger the difference you can get in bow weight between the main bow before and the main bow after, I think the greater the performance.

Another big downfall is tuning. If the back bow stacks, begins to break down, or doesn't recover in harmony/more quickly than the main bow, then the bow's harmony will be off and it won't recover like a normal bow of the given draw weight (same way a bow with extra hystersis would rob efficiency). So if the bow's tune is off, then the lower limb mass wouldn't mean anything.

All theoretical, of course :D.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 08:30:07 am »
Nice bow,bet it's a sweet shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:41 am »
would have been a cool build-a-long
knapp 'um if you got 'um

half eye

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:19 am »
Kegan,
    Never built one of these, but was wondering if there was any noise issue between the two bows limbs. I understand that they are hafted tightly together but as a bow returns to battery at the loose is there any noise? I have made native short bows (short) and a couple of cabel-backed (ala Inuit) so I'm intrigued.
     When I'm bow hunting in the big woods and everything is getting real, real quiet (mouse fart at a hundred yards quiet) any kind of noise really magnifies itself. So I thought I'd ask you guys, one and all, if there are any noise, creeking, etc. issues that you are aware of?
     Thanks a lot
half eye

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »
Keegan
    How  does the  bow  shoot, and  how  does  it  feel  in the  hand,
thanx
zeNBowyer
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:04 pm »
Half eye- Of the few I've done, noise was solved with a shim of thick leather. Finish on finish was the biggest problem. Likewise, improper tuning left some heavy string vibration. Other than that, n big issue.

Zen- this one was a bit short, and the short bow pulled flat against the little recurve. Perosnally, I liked the little recurve recurve all on it's own. Backed with sinew, it would have made a fine little buffulo bow ;)