Author Topic: Rat traps, made meat  (Read 3277 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Rat traps, made meat
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:54:53 pm »
caught a squirrel this morning with one. it didnt hold him but he was layin when i got to him and sent him to the other side with my slingshot. cant use guns behind a motel haha.ive been hunting with my slingshot and rocks and steel balls behind the motel im in for a week. missed a bunch of crows, groundhogs at 2 feet, and these squirrels. the guts are for the stray cats that ive befriended and the head. im gonna tack the hide on a log in the wood lot ive been scrounging around in .im glad to finally get another squirrel so i dont have to buy food tonight or today. my second squirrel this year the other one i got with my bush gun, when i was squatting in an old bread truck on my uncles land, the henry .22, cooked him whole over a fire and shared it with my pup mutt. i aint posted on here in awhile but ive got free internet till next weekend and a shower and tv haha kinda nice but a week indoors is hard for me but nice at the same time. the outside is my home and always will be. might be floating the susquehanna in a canoe out to the ocean and the rat trap is def. a meat getter that will be in my pack
Modern Day Tramp

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Rat traps, made meat
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »
Good to hear from you young man.
Stay safe and check in when you get the chance.
Where on earth are you at this time?

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:34 pm »
ht, great post...hope to hear more from you soon.  My 7 yr. old just found a rat trap in the barn yesterday...looks like we got a new adventure on our hands.  Thanks again for the post, derik

I was thinking about this and am worried that I may catch woodpeckers, chickens and other untargeted things, dog, opposom, you know.  What did you use for bait?  I figured either bird seed or peanut butter or both, maybe mounted to a tree, that's what got me thinking about woodpeckers. Still probably give it a try, all those things are edible........ ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:35:10 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:35:19 pm »
might need to get a BIGGER mouse trap...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:57:17 pm »

Bowtarist, you can make a cover for it, like a box.  A squirrel is quite curious, and will go in.  I can't have a bird house here because of it.  Plus like the rats they are, they chew it up.  Just make it high enough for the trap to spring.  or you can just make a box trap. ;)
                                                               Wayne

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 12:42:03 am »
Wayne,  I've got a busy week ahead, but am going to try to make time for this.  I'll put it in window view so we can get right out there.  A box atyle trap seems like a heck of an idea.  Need to put one under my treestand.  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:05 am »
I used to have a US Army survival manual that had a pole with loops of snare wire wrapped around it so that when a squirrel runs up the pole he will eventually get his head stuck in one and there ya go.  Let me see if I can get a pic uploaded and here is a link to the manual.  http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:51:36 am »
ridgerunner im in pa. In my home region. See my parents every few weeks and just spend time in the woods and parkin in walmart parking lots sometimes to sleep haha. i could live at home but nawww. bowtarist i used peanut butter and yeah ya chance catching other things but thats kinda of a risk when trapping anything. the peanut butter brought them right in. at first i set in the fallen log that was at an angle where they ran up and down it like a trail set but had a squirrel jump right over it.  nice picture jimbob ive seen that before i want to try that
Modern Day Tramp

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 04:05:41 pm »
ate it for a late breakfast, boiled with some olive oil poured in, salt, pepper and some green sassafras sticks sassafras kind of gave it a different flavor maybe a bit sweeter or the smell gives it that affect. the broth i gave to my dog in his water and on his food. take er easy
Modern Day Tramp