Author Topic: snake skins  (Read 3269 times)

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
snake skins
« on: December 25, 2009, 04:28:55 pm »
Merry Christmas All,
   I have a guestion about snake skins used for a bow backing. Do you have to remove the scales? Or does the size of the scales matter? My wife got a python skin for me, and it has some large scales. Also have some rattler skins.

thanks
        Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: snake skins
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
You should remove the scales because they will get cloudy when a finish is added. I imagine the python skin is tanned and the scales have been removed. I don't like using tanned skins for bow backings because I feel it is like a sponge that will absorb moisture more so than green or dried skins.
  Where in SC are you located. I used to live in Bluffton, next to HH Is but now live outside of Brevard NC but only a few miles from SC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline S.C. hunter

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 04:41:47 pm »
Hey Pat,
 All the skins I have are tanned, but all still have scales, Still should be able to scale them I guess.
 I live in Anderson about 30 miles south of Greenville just off I-85.
  I appreciate the info.
        Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »
Steve the scales are probably off the skins but the scale scars are there. You might try an outside edge to see if you can scrape scales off but I think not.
  I know Anderson. Chris Cade, Mechslasher lives in Abbeville. Do you know Chris? He builds bows, arrows and knives.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 06:16:34 pm »
Just to clarify, you are not really removing the scales. You would have to cut the scales off to remove them. You are helping the scales to shed. By removing the oldest layer of skin on the scales you ensure a clean clear skin for your project.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:42:00 pm »
I wouldn't use tanned skins as a backing. Just adds unnecessary weight, because the tanned skins soak up a lot of extra glue. Makes the limbs feel dead and sluggish. JMO.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 06:52:26 pm »
S.C. Hunter...don't be afraid to use the Python Skin....these Skins are thick like rawhide and work just fine...I have made 4 Bows with the one Hide that I bought...and none of them were Sluggish...two Sycamore...two Hard Maple....I have even glued in a slight reflex with the Python Hide and it stayed....make sure that you size the Snake Skin and the Bow Limbs ...then apply more Glue when you lay the Hide out ...then squeeze it down good to remove all Bubbles from under it.... then wrap it to insure that it don't lift....A question where did you get tanned Rattlers??

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline S.C. hunter

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 11:10:16 pm »
Hey guys,
  Thanks for all the help.  To answer some of your guestions. Pat, I grew up in Abbeville, but I dont know Chris. I have been away from there for a while, after the Navy I came to Anderson. I will try and look him up the next time I go there. He does some great work from what I have seen on his website.
  El Desructo, I bought the tanned Rattlers off e-bay. He is listed as snakesalliveallen. He lists alot of skins.
I really like your bow! That is some great work. I really like the feathers, seems to really set if off.  I just cut some Sycamore, but have never tried it. I want to put the rattler skins on a snaky osage stave. I got if from Dean Marlow. I guess you saw the pics of his bow.  Hope to get mine to turn out as good.
     steve