Author Topic: Tiller Help on a hackberry  (Read 1592 times)

Offline KShip85

Tiller Help on a hackberry
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:02:44 am »
Alright, well I have made some progress on a piece of hackberry that had the interesting camouflage on it an am tillering right now and just looking for input.  Its around 67 1/2" ntn pulling 80 lbs at 30.5 inches although I think I only have it to about 27" or so here.  The stave had a fair amount of natural deflex in it so I recurved the tips a little to make up for it.  I think I have the top limb fairly good but the bottom limb looks kinda stiff to me out towards the tips.  Sorry the picture is not the greatest quality, it was taken with my phone.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Tiller Help on a hackberry
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:26:37 am »
I am no expert...but I believe that the Bottom Limb is bending better than the Top one is....the Bottom looks like it could use to Bend more from Mid to the Tip....but the Top looks like it could use more through the whole Arc....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:17:59 am »
Looks like the top limb needs to bend more middle 1/3 and the bottom last 1/3.What weight are you looking for ? Looks pretty good overall. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:45:00 am »
wow how tall are you??  :o  maybe just be an optical illusion but you look at least 8' tall.  seriously though, top limb is too strong, bottom limb need to bend more in the outer 2/3's.  looking good.  careful on that bottom limb, it will take more set because that limb is bending all in one place.  draw it far enough to see your making progress on a better arc.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:19:28 pm »
And that is why I am glad you guys are here,  the one part I thought was right is the one which needs the most work.  Been scraping some today and think I've gotten some improvement, waiting to get some pics taken so I can compare it to the other one.  Thanks Again all!

Sulpher:  LOL Must be the camera angle as I am a lowly 6'4".  My wife was sitting on the couch when she took it.  After you said that I looked and it does look like my head is almost touching the ceiling.  If I were 8' plus I'd be looking for a longer bow but I bet I could handle one of those nice warbows a little better if my arms were over 40 inches long!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:56 pm »
Can you post an unbraced pic? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!