Author Topic: Snakeskins over sinew  (Read 4687 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Snakeskins over sinew
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:15 pm »
How long do I have to wait to put snake skins over sinew...sinew has been drying for 1-2 months and Im snowed in with nothing to do ....wondering if I can get them on...I would be using TBIII but I do have TB hide glue if that would work better

-Ky
GBR!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Snakeskins over sinew
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:54:55 pm »
I would go ahead and apply the Skins myself....it's been long enough....but I always use Hide Glue on Skins on a Sinewed Bow myself....and then I won't shoot it for another 4-6 Months after the Skins are applied.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:00:22 pm »
I have used TBIII for snake skins over sinew/hide glue with good results. One suggestion is to put a thin layer of the TBIII over the sinew first and let it dry completely before adding the skins(with TBIII). This will waterproof the sinew/hide glue. The skins are a moisture barrier and will add moisture to the sinew/glue and the wood below. By sealing first with the TBIII your drying time will be drastically reduced because it will be only the skins and their glue that has to dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:01:39 pm »
I have used TBIII for snake skins over sinew/hide glue with good results. One suggestion is to put a thin layer of the TBIII over the sinew first and let it dry completely before adding the skins(with TBIII). This will waterproof the sinew/hide glue. The skins are a moisture barrier and will add moisture to the sinew/glue and the wood below. By sealing first with the TBIII your drying time will be drastically reduced because it will be only the skins and their glue that has to dry.

I did this by accident. I normally coat my sinew, once dry, in TBIII for protection anyway, and then added the skins afterwards after shooting/fine tuning (just in case something happened so I wouldn't waste the skins). I waitied until the glue dried and it was shooting exactly the same as before :)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:53:56 pm »
How many layers of sinew?  If not too thick, and you have kept it nice and dry, I think you could skin it.  For the last bow I skinned over sinew,  I used TB 3.  I did just as Pat suggested.  Sized it then put on another layer then applied the skins.  I think it worked out really nicely.  I've used the TB hideglue on a unbacked bow and it worked really well, but have heard horror stories about the TB liquid hideglue and sinew.  So I would use real hide glue or TB3 and stay away from the liquid hide glue.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:24:53 am »
Rick, I think the problem with the liquid hide glue is it has additives that give it a shelf life. Beyond that shelf life it takes forever to cure. I think if you get a fresh bottle that is truly fresh it will work fine for rawhide and snake skin backings.  FYI, I have never use the stuff so it's all hear say!  ;) ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:29 am »
I would put them on now,I never wait over 3 or 4 weeks on sinew anyway.I keep it in a good dry place or the hot box at about 90 and have had no trouble doing it that way. :) I guess longer is better but I can't wait that long. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:24:09 am »
Thanks for the comments guys...Went ahead and put the skins on last nite using the painters tape method...they look GREAT!!!  I can't wait to get this bow done in the nextcouple months

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:14:40 pm »
I use liquid hide glue for skins and rawhide. It works great. Just keep it cool between uses and it will keep for a long time.
Gordon

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:31 pm »
The problem with TB hide glue is it's shelf life, most stores don't move it fast enough. I'd use TB III but that's just me, I hate messin with hide glue, when there is better stuff for the application.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 02:37:44 am »
I used TB3 for skins over sinew with great results. if your sinew job is a little rough with gaps, you can mix the glue with sawdust and coat the sinew to fill in the gaps, after drying, you can sand the surface to get it smooth. a little trick Ed Scott told me about. also gives a more consistant surface for the snakeskins to adhere. post some pics of your bow.

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:14:04 am »
Juniper, I'll be posting pics as soon as the bow is done...Im going to give it one more month before i start working on it  again...the Holidays can be so hectic!

-Ky
GBR!