Author Topic: sinew  (Read 3348 times)

Offline denny

• my site
sinew
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:07:25 am »
Hey fellows any of you guys process your own deer sinew. And how do you dry it out rather quickly, so it doesn't smell up the shed or the animals don't get to them. I once saw an indian reinactor cooking over an open fire on a stick. Kinda smoking them. Whats your Idea ? Thanks Denny

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinew
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:16:24 am »
Denny, I generally put them on top of the frig or a counter top that my dogs can't get to. ;D  It doesn't take long and if cleaned sinews usually don't smell. A few days is all it takes to dry sinews.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:58 am »
Thanks Pat My wife wants me to get them out of the freezer, But I find the moths or bugs get to them after they dry, even in sandwich bags. but If I dry them out could I freeze  them again till I need them. Denny p.s. I see you like to put on mojams for kids too is that correct? Alike to do the same and have ,they love those ballons and 3 d's when we set up a course. Do you every venture up to n.y. to the rendezvous with buffalogobbler and the gang?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:40:00 am »
What Pat said. Never noticed any smell. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:13:56 pm »
I would get them good and clean then leave them in the sun and a breeze and they will dry in no time at all.  Also if the bugs art getting to them dry put them in a plastic container w/ some moth balls.  That way you keep them out of the freezer and the wife happy. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »
Thanks Rick

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »
I hang mine up like socks on a line to dry, Bo likes to watch and the rule is whatever hits the floor is his ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:42:08 pm »
Hey where are your clothes drying out on the trunk hood?lol Looks really good ,do you use alot for bows and how do you store them? Thanks Denny

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 04:49:45 pm »
Denny I mostly trade it, as for storage I just put it in a paper sack and keep it somewhere dry.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:45:54 pm »
hi Dana
glad to see ya posting again  :)

ya know i have never even thought about running a line in the basement for that
hell i been doing one strap at a time and leaving dry on an old window glass that i had laying around
not as fast asdoing them like you do
but ithink i get tless shrinkage when they dry on the glass,it sticks to it when wet
onlt problem was the elk back strap i did,it was a bit longer that deer straps.it hung over the glass on both ends
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:50 pm »
Thanks again dana, Denny