Author Topic: new notches  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Bone pile

new notches
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:38 am »
Here's a few that I punched out,I used a horseshoe nail that I filed flat.The little papooses that I made up for (Dare I say it ,I know how it sends some over the edge? )Christmas ornaments.
have a good one.

Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: new notches
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:15:10 am »
nice points and ornaments, bonepile! -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline StevenT

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:32:25 am »
Great looking points.  I am envious of your notch work as I have been having problems lately with notching. I have only tried notching using pressure flaking and they stall out on me before I get a good notch. I end up busting to many corners. I would love to see a picture of your tool and maybe how you set up to strike a punch. I just have not figured out how you can hold the point, place the punch and then strike it. Seems like it would take three hands and I am just not corrdinated enough to hold the point with my feet. So how do you do it? Thanks.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:17:20 pm »
Steven.. i lay the point on my leg pad.. i hold the point with the outside of my left hand, and hold the punch with the fingers of my left hand. I mount the nail in a piece of wood. and i use a paddle to smack it.  Get your tools together and practice on some flakes.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:56 pm »
Thanks, I will give it a try. I have some horse nails and will do some experimenting. I definitly want to learn how to make a notch like that. It's pretty frustrating to get to the last part of putting a notch in and messing up a point that took some time to make.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 01:47:13 pm »
Very nice, Points and ornaments.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wildcat86

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:42 pm »
Very Nice Points! Like the Christmas ornaments too. Did you carve them out of wood?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »
Great stuff Roger, Merry Christmas eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI