Author Topic: finnishing bamboo  (Read 2929 times)

Offline hntr

finnishing bamboo
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:22 am »
Just finnished my first bow (first two were practice :D) a bamboo backed hickory.  I was going to finish it with tru oil and top that with water based polyurethane.

Do I have to sand the glossy sheen off of the bamboo before I try to finish it and do I need to poly over top of the tru oil? never used it before.  Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks, Hunter

Offline Gordon

Re: finnishing bamboo
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:33:10 am »
You need to scrape the waxy rind off the bamboo before applying a finish or it won't adhere properly. There's no good reason to put poly over Tru-Oil. If you don't like the shine of Tru-Oil, then rub it out the finish with steel wood followed by pumice.
Gordon

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:43:19 am »
If you want to sand it a little after scraping the rind off, I like to use the 3M Sandblaster sanding pads (about 1/4" thick spongy pads). They will contour to the surface better.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 11:49:03 am »
Some light sanding with fine-grit paper is all that's needed. I've been told by people who build a lot of them that scraping can be a not-so-good idea on a bamboo backing.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline hntr

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:35:06 pm »
Thanks for all of the info guys, this is the nicest group of people in cyber space.

Does tru oil have a stain in it or is it clear?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »
It's clear.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 07:01:00 pm »
by all means sand or steel wool the bamboo first before finnishing, I just finnished one and forgot to do it and the paint flakes right off.
                                                                                       Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:12 pm »
I use to scrape off the rind but I now know it just needs to be sanded a bit with really fine paper and thats it. I dont think the water base will adhere to the oil base. Water base is a much more durable finish but can cause grain raise and will take many coats to build. Also water base will not give the look of depth that an oil base will. With water base it will look pretty much the same after you seal it which can be a good thing :) I like water base also because it dries fast and low odor.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »
Also from mhearing from guys that do hard wood flooring the time before a floor needs to be touched up or re sealed is almost double with water base over oil. Why? I dont know ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark