Author Topic: Dowel maker  (Read 5200 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Dowel maker
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
I am looking for a wood dowel making fixture for 5/16 dowels . I thought there was a post on here awhile back about that,does anyone know a website or a good place to order one.
                                Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Dowel maker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:09:41 pm »
Lee Valley has one that look really good but it is quite expensive (over $200 with required attachments). They even have inserts for specific sizes for making arrow shafts. If I made arrows/dowels for a living I'm sure it would make sense. Google "Lee Valley" and search for dowel maker on their site.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:28:25 pm »
   hey  look  closer  in  the  lee valley tool cat  there  is  a cheaper  dowel  maker  30 bucks or  so  I  have  one  sam harper  uses one   makes  dowels  quick  it's  a  good  tool  once  it's  dialed  in  it's  adicting  makin  arrows !!!   JEFF W

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:31:26 pm »
thanks guys I will do that,does the one for thirty dollars work good ,and will it adjust down to 5/16 or just 3/8 thanks
                                      Dennis
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:44:36 pm by kayakfisher »
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

shane_moss

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:13:25 am »
Ripping a board to 3/8" squares and run it thru this jigs works well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDjedeJCZ0&feature=player_embedded

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:47:54 am »
Thats pretty cool was that just a block of wood and a hacksaw blade.
                                                                     Dennis

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »
Probably not a "hacksaw" blade, I would guess a piece of one of the Japanese pull saws.  But that is what it looks like to me, real simple.  I just don't know how even the shafts would be.  Be a good set up if you are going to taper your shafts anyway I imagine.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:04 pm »
I have the Versitas Tapered Tenon Cutters from Lee Valley and I like them. I have tried several different methods similar to that video and I guarantee they aren't as easy as he makes them look. Also, if you push it through on an angle like he was on the big one, you get a lot of variation in size.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 08:11:46 pm »
I was wondering about that.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:55:19 pm »
I ordered the one for 30 dollars will  it adjust down to 5/16 or is three eights as small as it goes
                                                      Dennis

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:57:05 pm »
It will adjust a little smaller, but the guide hole on the back is 3/8". If you make it smaller it doesn't hold them as secure and wont be as precise.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah