Author Topic: splicing elm  (Read 1731 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

splicing elm
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:24:00 pm »
you guys do it?i thought i had a stave but i figured i wouldn't bother doing it because it had a big knot where mid limb would be, so i cut it below that and split it.Now i have two sister billets. i was hopping to do a z splice because you cut both parts at once. But is it hard to make a splice joint without a bandsaw?Will a jigsaw work or even a normal woodcutting saw?hoping to make a nice 60-64" bow with some reflex and set back in the handle(if set back is the proper term), like the bow in tbb volum 1 page 159.happy scraping
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: splicing elm
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »
Hi,  I've spliced a number of staves.  There is no reason why it shouldn't work for you.  Band saws make it easier to cut the splice, but I have done it by hand.  Just take your time and cut as close to the lines as you can.  A little work with a rasp and sand paper will help you get a closer fit.  If all else fails, steam the splice ends until pliable, fit together and clamp.  Clamping the heated wood will mash the splice into a near perfect fit.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers