Author Topic: Siyahs on a longbow.  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Dakotian

Siyahs on a longbow.
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »
I've been wanting to try this for several years now and I hope to make it my next project if ever I get the time. However I find myself wondering, is there a reason we don't really see siyahs on a longbow? If structurally it won't be a problem, then would an oak board work for something like this (around 50#s maybie 65" 27" draw) or would i need something stronger?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Siyahs on a longbow.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:10:43 am »
Welcome back, Andrew!   Siyahs, like other static recurved tips work best on shorter bows. On a longer bow the added weight defeats the purpose of the siyahs plus you wouldn't be bending the limbs as much with a siyahed tip on a long limb. On shorter bows it stresses the working portions of the bow to their max.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:18 am »
The Holmgaard design is almost a longbow with Siyahs..errr .. um...sort of... :-[.
It rather depends on the definition and purpose, do you actually want them to unfold and lift the string off a bridge a bit like a compound cam or just to act as a stiff limb tip?
I think you'll just end up with a very smooth slow longbow...
I recently built a 89" Maple longbow, V slow but smooth.
Trying this stuff is fun, so be sure to let us know what happens if you try it!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:51:49 am »
I've actually been toying around with doing an all wood composite 59" with thin BL core, ipe belly, hickory backing, light wood siyahs, with the thin (1/8) ipe bely lam covering all the belly of the siyahs and the backing overlapping the joint. In prep for maybe trying a horn composite one of these days.

Hi Andrew.

Dave

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:13:22 am »
Well to be honest I'm hoping siyahs would be an alternative to actually recurving a bow. Heat bending is still beyond my skill. My main concern is that my most readily available wood for this project (Oak) would be under too much stress, but then again, it hasn't really failed me yet. maybie I'll shorten it somewhat and perhaps add a backing of some kind to make the siyahs more practicle. I wish I could get my hands on an elm board again, I would feel alot better about this project.

Offline WillAdams

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:09:35 pm »
Early Bear Archery bows had static recurve tips much like siyahs

William