Author Topic: rounded belly on serviceberry?  (Read 2788 times)

parspektiv

rounded belly on serviceberry?
« on: November 13, 2009, 03:15:59 am »
I know serviceberry is very strong in tension. How about compression? Is it possible to make a round belly, without having to worry about to much set?

Offline Keenan

Re: rounded belly on serviceberry?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:36:48 pm »
Round natural back and flat belly for serviceberry   ;)

parspektiv

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 05:48:55 am »
Then I go for that. Thanks!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 02:47:54 am »
Keenan has it right - with serviceberry you need to keep the belly flat.
Gordon

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:16 pm »
Is this because it is weak in compression? I have a couple of serviceberry staves that I want to start on , one of which I used Keenans knife and a rock to cut down >:D...he made me do it... O:)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:20:41 am »
Dave,

Serviceberry is very strong in tension, but not so good in compression - at least that is my experience. Also with serviceberry you need to be mindful of the many lateral pin knots. They will almost always crack if near the edge. When you discover such a knot while removing belly material try to keep the area a little proud.
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:28:35 am »
Is this because it is weak in compression? I have a couple of serviceberry staves that I want to start on , one of which I used Keenans knife and a rock to cut down >:D...he made me do it... O:)

Lets analyze this statement from Dave ;D  Notice he said, "I used Keenans Knife and a rock"   A clear admission of total desperation and the obvious symptom of an addict in withdrawls. This is followed by the denial and blame shifting statement :D  "He made me do it."  If memory serves me right we were in His Bronco and he had forgot to bring a saw, so in desperation conned me out of my knife :o :o    Darn that truth hurts sometimes,,,,,, ;D  Dave ,  I'm your friend,,admitting you have a problem is the first step and it's OK. :D :D :D

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:27 am »
withdrawls???? say it isnt so....besides, it seems we cut you a stave as well ???

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 11:28:31 am »
 You did it first and caused me to stumble!  ;D It's was kinda like watching someone eating your favortie desert right in front of you. :o

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 09:23:32 pm »
You did it first and caused me to stumble!  ;D It's was kinda like watching someone eating your favortie desert right in front of you. :o
oh...you are sooooo weak :D