Author Topic: little help needed with tapered shafts  (Read 2238 times)

Offline FLING-N-TWIGS

little help needed with tapered shafts
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:33:49 am »
quite some time ago I had instructions from a magizne article on how to taper shafts using a simple 1" plane, These instructions had dimensions starting at the nock and using a tape measure and a pencil  mark the shaft at 1", 5" 8" ??  use the plane to taper the shaft until the pencil line is removed and then repeat the process. any one remember the article ? or know the dimensions ? with the correct process ? Thanks in advance
FLING-N-TWIGS

Offline Kegan

Re: little help needed with tapered shafts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
Not sure about the artivcle, but the prcess is pretty old and pretty simple. You just do a "step down". Start clsoe to the nock ends and make a complete roptation of passes. Once you do that, you make another rotation of cuts slightly farther from the nock, and repeat one last time after that. Sand when you're finished to get a nicely tapered shaft. Hope this helps :)

Offline FLING-N-TWIGS

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:53:21 pm »
Yes that helpfull and thats exactly how I remember it, thank you. I think the reason for the dimensions was to keep the taper length from shaft to shaft consistant. Is there a standard taper length ?  8"?  10"?  or ?    any thought's ?

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:58:00 pm »
Shown below is what works for me

End View of a 3/8" square arrow blank rounded with a small plane.

Side view of a 3/8" dowel tapered at both ends. This is how I reduce 3/8" poplar dowels to arrows.
Chuck S.

Offline FLING-N-TWIGS

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:34 am »
Bushbow: Very helpful, Thanks for posting the diagram

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 01:28:59 pm »
I just use a jig made with guide blocks and sandpaper. I use a corded drill to run the dowel through, sanding the last 10" or so down to about 11/32". I posed a photo of it a little while ago.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 01:42:20 pm »
The nice thing about using a block plane is that it it quiet. You can make arrows in the house while watching TV (after your wife goes to bed >:D). I did leave my plane in the rec room one time, she said (with suspicion) "What is your wood shaver doing in here? ;D