Author Topic: CRAZY IDEA SUMAC LONGBOW....  (Read 5092 times)

VenomBOWslinger

CRAZY IDEA SUMAC LONGBOW....
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:52:35 pm »
I had a crazy idea I wanted try and make a sumac bow,,,it will be a pne ok a kind and Im sure no one has attempted it before!!! I SAID IT WAS CRAZY ID LIKE SOME POSTS RATHER THAN 500 PEOPLE READING IT..U KNOW WHO U ARE!!!
CHEERS!!! :o :o :o :o

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: CRAZY IDEA SUMAC LONGBOW....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
Not to bum you out, but DanaM did a Sumac bow a bit ago.  If I remember right it lasted quite a while but finally blew up.  I know I was really suprised it held up as long as it did.  I still think you should give it a go.  See if you can make it a long term shooter.
Traverse City, MI

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:54 pm »
wOW REALLY COOL BEANS HEY UR FROM LONG ISLAND!!!
CHEERS!!!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:03:38 pm »
rus throw us some pics of this sumac bow .. i like looking at the purty pictures !!

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:51:26 pm »
It has a real purty grain. I don't know about bows, but, I used to use it for slingshots when I was a kid.

Offline dogleg

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:20 am »
And here I was wanting to ask that same question, but chickenned-out.  Got loads of the stuff, but thought I'd try it on the sly.  Didn't want to provoke too much laughter.  Guess the joke's on me.   :-\
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:50:10 am »
Hey Ken thanks guys I didnt see post about DanaM but I had this Idea of sumac bow for a long time it has and interesting grain and two tone sap and heartwood...lt  looks sick but if u can make a bow froma shrub basically u can make a bow from anything...THUS giving hope for some of the guys who feel that they cant make a bow or feel that what they make isnt as good enough for some reason!  I want these guys to keep in mind its not about the fancyness but about a brotherhood who try and keep a tradition alive in a world full of electronic crap!!! ITS UP TO ALL OF U TO KEEP THAT TRADITION ALIVE ....dont make me tell u again or I will come over there!!!! IT WONT BE A PRETTY SITE!!!!...Its 4am and my back is killing me and its freezing here in newyork and I had the time to post this for U guys...ID hope some that read my posts will read it take in consideration and leave a reply letting me know u are a brother...also I want to have at least one post that makes a hot stickey..lol THANX GUYS!!!
CHEERS                                       ps I am here to learn and to help if anyone need me dont hesitate to ask!!!
VENOM!!!.../Russell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:12:00 am »
You can make a bow from most any wood as long as the design is right.How well it preforms is another question,go for it and let us know how it turns out.Some like to try different wood just to see what they will do,I rather spend my time with more tested wood where I am pretty sure how they will turn out,to each there own.That's what make the world go around. :) and by the way you don't have to yell. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 07:39:01 am »
HAHA thanks PAPPY what u doing up...yeah I understand ur point PAPP but I am different and think differentI want to give a little hope to those who feel that what bows they make are not good enough or they cant build bows for some reason to show them if someone can make one from a non typical material that they can get a piece of hickory or some other typical bow material and go for it and dont hold back!!! THANKS FOR RESPONSE U ARE ALWAYS WELCOME PAPPY!!!
 ;) ;) ;)
CHEERS!!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:43 am »
Here's a link to my Sumac bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8421.0.html

By all means go for it, but make it longer than I did and I would go with a bendy handle D bow
and find the cleanest piece of sumac you can. Sumac will most likely fail in tension so a backing would add some insurance.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:32 am »
Pappy, those CAPPS sure are hard to read huh?  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 09:03:59 am »
Yep. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good